Student Association

General assembly elects recorder, opposes Common Council off-campus housing ordinance

Lauren Murphy | Staff Photographer

Allie Curtis, SA president, sits in the front row of Maxwell auditorium during Monday night's meeting. Curtis was stripped of her ability to preside over meetings for the rest of the semester during a special assembly meeting on Sunday.

Looking to put a tumultuous couple of weeks fraught with internal discord behind it, the Student Association introduced several new items of business, including a resignation, election and multiple pieces of legislation at Monday’s general assembly meeting.

“Tonight was a great step in the right direction. SA demonstrated that even when faced with internal issues, we are still doing work and impacting students,” said President Allie Curtis after the meeting.

Curtis sat in the front row of Maxwell Auditorium as Vice President Duane Ford led the meeting. The assembly stripped Curtis of her ability to preside over the semester’s remaining meetings in a special session Sunday as a part of a three-pronged punishment for a decision-making process during the session that has “promoted non-transparency and a lack of integrity,” according to a censure issued Sunday.

Recorder resignation and election

After sending an email notifying the general assembly of her resignation as recorder last week, Belen Crisp acknowledged her decision to step down at Monday’s meeting.

Crisp, who headed the Department of Public Safety advisory board, said the organization helped foster her interest in campus safety. Serving on the cabinet detracted from Crisp’s ability to address safety issues, to which she said she’d like to return.

Despite a rocky couple of weeks for SA, which included a call for President Curtis’ resignation, the resignation of two other cabinet members and investigations into the conduct of four cabinet officials, Crisp said her decision to resign didn’t stem from discontent within the organization.

“I will always love this organization,” she said.

Crisp is taking a leave of absence from her assembly position this semester, but intends to return in the fall.

Nick Bonafilia, a junior representative from the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science, was elected as recorder for the remainder of the session.

Addressing the assembly, Bonafilia underscored his critical yet constructive personality, and said he’d like to make improving communication within the organization a focal point.

Resolution opposing off-campus housing ordinances

SA adopted a stance opposing proposed ordinances that would restrict off-campus housing to students.

The ordinance, which was proposed by the South East University Neighborhood Association and is under deliberation by the Syracuse Common Council, would limit the expansion of student-rented properties in neighborhoods surrounding the university. In the resolution, SA implored the Common Council to reject the motion.

If passed, the ordinance would also require a registry with the names and academic institutions of student-renters, a move that resolution sponsor Sean Dinan called a “violation of students’ privacy.”

Initiatives

As a part of an assembly-wide exercise to close Monday’s meeting, Vice President Ford urged representatives to name any campus issues they felt should be addressed.

After narrowing the list, the general assembly resolved to zero-in on tuition, advising and campus hunger. A point person will be assigned to address the individual issues at the next general assembly meeting.

Most assembly representatives identified tuition and poor advising — especially within the College of Arts and Sciences — as points that needed to be addressed.

Judicial Review Board Chair Lynde Folsom made a case for campus hunger and said students have moved off campus or reduced their meal plans because they can’t afford to maintain it. SA would work with Hendricks Chapel in addressing campus hunger issues, as Hendricks provides a pantry for students, Folsom said.

Other business discussed:

• Comptroller Stephen DeSalvo presented the Finance Board’s rulings on appeals to the special programming decisions handed in at last Monday’s meeting. None of the organizations that were partially funded or were denied funding after the final decisions on appeals were presented expressed dissatisfaction with the Finance Board’s decision. In total, approximately $249,088 in appeal funding was issued Monday.
  • Assembly representative Dinan announced his intention to run for chief of staff, which was left vacant after PJ Alampi’s resignation last week.