The Daily Orange

Duck: Rachael Barillari

Asst. News Editor | Spring 2012; Editorial Editor | Spring 2013

Micah Benson | Art Director

I have always been a writer. It is how I have defined myself for most of my life — preferring to write rather than speak, and tell someone else’s story rather than my own. Before I found The Daily Orange, I was best at prose, laughable as a playwright — though I tried desperately — and determined to be a poet. I never thought I would become a journalist, aspire to be an editor or develop a passion for being a columnist. It was The D.O., despite the challenges it brought me, that gave me those aspects of my life I cannot picture it without. The inspiring individuals I have been so lucky to work with throughout the last several years have made every moment worth it. For The D.O., I am forever grateful, and all of you, I will never forget.

My Newsies (Marwa, Stephanie, Maddy, Liz and Bre): In one semester, you became five of my closest friends and are in my best D.O. memories. You are my most trusted supporters, advice-givers, lenders of critique and my favorite comedians. And Maddy, there is no one with whom I would have rather shared the porch. HAO was all we accomplished possible? Together, we made it so.

Laurence: You instilled the confidence in me to lead many editorial boards. Because of your willingness to listen, I gained not only one of the best experiences of my life, but a friend I truly respect.

KP: If it wasn’t for you bringing me along to an informational meeting at 744 Ostrom three years ago, I would not be writing this today. I truly can’t thank you enough.

Meghin: Always my leader, and never in the wrong direction. Though that first coverage was rough, to say the least, I thank you for your patience and teaching me how to be a reporter, news writer and editor.

Dara, Debbie and Becca: I will drink margaritas with you ladies anytime. Thank you for being incredible mentors, I admire you greatly.

Mark: I have enjoyed working as a part of your staff, and appreciate you being there to answer all of my many questions. I wish you the best of luck.

Kathleen and Beckie: Two of my greatest sources of journalistic inspiration. I aim to report with such passion, and write with such eloquence, as both of you.

Dylan: Remember this: Don’t stress, just breathe. You are incredibly capable, so never doubt yourself. I have enjoyed watching you grow as a writer. Thank you for being someone on which I can rely.

Ankur: I will win our ultimate feud. Mark my words.

Casey: Your dependability was the reason for many editorial successes. The D.O. is lucky to have you as its future leader.

Chelsea and Kristin: Two faces that never fail to brighten a room — thank you for all of the laughs.

Jess, Meredith and Nicki: You have served the newsroom well and have come so far from the staff writers full of potential you were one year ago today.

Lizzie: Your talented self has taught me well. Without you, I would have never mastered the art of opinion page design. Now how about Design of the Week?

Chase: Despite my red face, I truly do appreciate your edit board jokes.

Kat Kim: I still like your style, Kat Kim. I always will.

Erik: We will dance again, my friend, for We Are Young.

Anna: I leave the future of the one-man section with full faith in your capable hands. Be analytical, inspired and passionate — then apply your gift for words. The result? Undoubted success.

Mathew: My inexhaustible voice of reason I know will never steer me wrong. Your listening skills are impeccable, thank you for always picking up the phone. Every moment has meant so much; I know there are only more to come.

Mom: You have encouraged me to pursue each of my passions to the fullest. From the baseball fields to the ballet recitals, you have always been the face in the crowd I look to. Your support through each of my endeavors, including The D.O., has made me able to achieve everything I have ever wanted. And for that, for giving me a beautiful life, I thank you tremendously. To the moon and back.