The Daily Orange

Duck: Mark Cooper

Asst. Copy Editor | Fall 2010; Asst. Sports Editor | Spring 2011-Fall 2011; Sports Editor | Spring 2012; Editor in Chief | Fall 2012-Spring 2013

Micah Benson | Art Director

The Daily Orange took advantage of my freshman naivety.

After three or four attempts, I finally heard back from Conor Orr, the sports editor, in spring 2010. He invited me in to talk about joining the softball beat. But the day he told me to come in was Feb. 7, 2010 — the night of the Super Bowl.

So I sprinted from Sadler Hall to 744 Ostrom Ave. at halftime, hoping I wouldn’t miss too much. In hindsight, I probably could have rescheduled, but I thought it was a test or something, or I would be passed over.

I joined the sports staff and now here I am, four years later, wrapping up one full year as editor in chief and three full years as an editor. My college experience has been defined by The D.O. No place has taught me more. No place has caused me such agony and such joy. I loved every minute of coming to work this year and am on the verge of tears as it comes to an end. I never thought I would become EIC, and now I can’t imagine life without it.

Mom, dad, Shana: I would be nowhere near where I am today without your love and support for me to pursue my passions. I’m sorry for the missed calls and poor communication. I can’t wait to see you all again soon.

Gino, Stefan, Nick, Max: Sorry I wasn’t around more this year. We still have a little bit of time to enjoy before graduation.

Pete: It is unbelievable how fast a year goes by, and I’m sure it was the same for you. Thank you for helping me get acclimated to the role, and thank you for seeing my visions and watching me carry them out. I leave this house so happy to have had such a great relationship with you during the years and hope that a similar one is being cultivated between you and Casey.

Conor: Thanks for giving me my first opportunity, even though I was way too excited to cover softball.

ALJ: You were the first head editor I worked under, and your humor and passion for good journalism rubbed off on me. Sports doesn’t know what it’s missing on Sunday nights with Chris Hanson.

Brett: Thank you for giving me my first A1 and countless other opportunities. I grew leaps and bounds as a reporter and editor by watching you. You’ve been a tremendous resource and I’m sorry you had to cover spring football that one time.

Tony: I used to dread sitting down for an edit with you as a staff writer because I knew it meant I’d be there awhile. But those sessions were where I really learned how to construct a story.

Zach Brown (drunk): Legends never die. You like that?

Cohen: My beat partner all the way through. What a wild ride we’ve had, from softball to football camp to the ACC and Fine allegations to Boston. I’m happy to look back and think we didn’t f*ck up too bad, either. You’re as tenacious a reporter The D.O. has had in my time here and have been a tremendous friend and co-worker. I’m glad we got that last co-byline during Winter Break.

Ryne: You turned more heads than I think you realize with your fast rise to an editor position. I’m so proud of how much you’ve grown as a writer and person in the last three years. I knew I could trust you to do great reporting. And you showed how much passion drives you with Media Cup.

Chris: When you applied to return to house after a semester off, you said you kicked yourself the entire car ride home for not sticking with it the first time. It felt genuine, and you returned to do some awesome things. Thank you for putting up with me trying to relive my Sports glory days and thanks for taking some of my suggestions. It’s been a crazy semester, but the Sports staff has done a tremendous job covering everything under your tutelage. Let’s celebrate with some Coors Light and Bloody Mary peanuts.

Klinger: You endeared yourself to me by taking a business-side call as a contributing writer. Not many people love The D.O. more than you do. Harness that. You have a chance to take the section to a greater level and hold up the tradition of D.O. sports. I’ll be around if you ever need me.

Wilson: I took so much pride in seeing you grow early on as a contributing writer, as you discovered how to write good nut grafs and your writing style began to take shape. I’m glad you’re sticking around in house — I know from experience it’s the right move. Keep Klinger in line.

Bailey + Treds: I walked into a lucky circumstance last spring having two returning copy editors who didn’t make many blunders. Stephen, welcome back to the house. You have a lot of ideas: Now execute them. Treds, I still need to try some Monster in my beer.

Trevor + Phil: You have plenty of talent and so much potential. Remember, you always have room for improvement. Ask the tough questions; ask the right questions. And get out of Sports sometimes to see what else is going on.

Rachel Marcus: You might not come around these parts anymore, but thanks for being such a good sport while you were in house.

Katie: I used to get angry that you slowed down sports guide productions to watch Jersey Shore. But this year, you’ve turned into a trustworthy guide to bounce ideas or dilemmas off of. This job is difficult enough to do without support. Having the confidence and trust of a former EIC meant so much.

Kathleen: Only in my dreams could I have done something as incredible as “Fait Accompli,” and I think it was a culmination of all the hard work you put into this paper. You were a voice of reason for me throughout this year and for that, I thank you.

Meredith Galante: When I was a freshman staff writer and transitioning in house, I always thought it was so cool that the EIC of the paper knew who I was. I’m happy to have joined this crazy, prestigious group, and hope I upheld the work you did. I have so much respect for you.

Dara: We had our rifts last year between Sports and management, but this year has given me such an appreciation for what you did here. I can’t express how grateful I am to have had you on campus this year, both for advice and for the stories you produced. And for the Battle yelling.

Amrita: I hope the new website fulfilled your original vision. It was by far the most fun project I have been a part of. Too bad you aren’t still in Albany — would love to make another diner trip with you sometime.

Debbie: You’re the on-campus management alumnus next year. You have more experience at The D.O. than your age. It was a pleasure getting to know you better this semester.

Beckie: You might not remember this, but you did the first read on my very first D.O. story. You told me it was very impressive for a freshman new writer — but I didn’t tell you that I had written a couple stories for the Times Union before that. You brought this paper to another level, both in News and in Opinion, and you’re still considered the gold standard for news editor.

Jon: I’m going to miss the late-night grilled cheese and the numbers stories. I’ll happily look at the broken chairs and rubber band fights as distant memories.

Marwa: I could spot from down the hallway last spring that you were as talented a reporter of anyone in the news section. If anyone has ever been tough on you here, it’s because they see the same thing I see. We had an incredible fall semester with so much news breaking, from the Dalai Lama to Cantor to Election Day. We did more than survived it, we moved the rock.

Meredith: I will never forget the glee Marwa, Laurence and I had the day you said you would become an assistant. Now, you’re about to embark on a semester as news editor. Find out what the best attributes are for all of the most recent news editors and combine them. You can do it.

Jess: It was so nice seeing your giddiness about the number of Springsteen macs we used this year.

Dylan: Remember that everything always works out in the end and don’t sweat it. You’re a rock star of a reporter and an asset to this paper. I can’t wait to read what you write next year.

Bre: There would have been no better partner for the beer showers. For the web!

Nicki, Brendan, Evan: Each of you came into a tough situation and really helped the section stay together. Thank you so much for that.

Rachael: If you go back and look at each week of this semester, I think you’ll see an exponential, consistent improvement in editorials. I couldn’t ask for more than that. You should teach the staff lessons in beat reporting for how well you cover SA.

Maddy: I loved when you would come into management to look at ducks and ask questions about old stories. Keep that desire to know everything. It will get you far in management.

Kathleen Kim: Thanks for being a good sport and pulling off the Korean bachelor spread idea.

Colleen: I hope you are doing well. It was tough to see you leave in the fall.

Chelsea: You grew into the feature editor role so well in the course of the last year. You came in with a vision and you executed it to the best of your abilities. So it’s time for me to answer the question you posed a semester ago: What are you good at? My answer is that you have a way with people that few do. You can calm people down, you can pump them up, you can read their moods and make them feel better. Your caring nature is what I admire most about you. Live it up in Florence!

Danielle: From sophomore year MayFest to the most recent jagerbomb, it’s been a blast getting to know you in and out of house. Thanks for holding up your end of the bet.

Erik: You light up a room with your kindness and sense of humor. Thanks for being a steady presence that we could trust all year to get things done.

Kristin: I have full faith in you to run with the feature section and make it your own. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Avery + Joe + Boomer: You all have been treats to get to know this year. You were a rock for the feature section all year, Avery. I’m happy to see you rise through the ranks, Joe, and I hope you find your way back here in some capacity, Boomer.

Chase: I have read the coffee cup on which your letter of intent from last semester is written dozens of times. Every time, it makes me want to tear up knowing how much you want to give this place. F*ck the “photo curse” and f*ck the haters. You’ve turned around the photo department and have given it legitimacy. I am so proud to have had you on staff.

Lauren: You stuck through some tumultuous, intense, gruesome times in the photo department. That’s another level of commitment. Thank you for putting enough trust in me to help turn it around. I think we did it.

Sam: Cherish all of the opportunities you’re getting — many freshmen have come and had to work their way up much slower. You have more talent than most of them. But be humble.

Luke: Sorry about all of those cutouts. Thanks for your mom’s cookies. I know you’ll push video even further next year.

Becca: Your enthusiasm was an incredible addition to the paper this semester. I don’t know many people who work harder than you. You brought along a tremendous set of designers who are now the face of D.O. design. I’m sorry you can’t name your son Cooper anymore.

Ankur: We both sat in that September board meeting and came together to make a collective decision to “go big” with the front page every day. Without you there, I don’t know how things would have gone. And we of course had lots of fun, too. You’re a mainstay of The D.O., the most veteran of veterans going into the fall. Use that to keep institutional memory alive and show people what you’ve learned from mistakes. I hope you design some of my stories this summer in California.

Lizzie: We still need to go to Gannon’s and the zoo! You’ve come so far from the timid freshman who didn’t hide her irritation about designing Sports. You are so talented and I am absolutely sure the new set of designers will thrive under your wing. Remember to always push past what’s conventional. Find a way to do something different and better. Dixie Chicks will forever play in the photo office at 3 a.m., and I’ll only be a G-chat away.

Beth: “We’re living here in Allentown…” Having you design Sports while I was in the section always made the night better. Your tendency to take chances is admirable and The D.O. is losing a true gem both in talent and personality. Make sure Casey and Lizzie don’t go insane, OK?

Cheryl: Finding a copy chief was one of the first crises Laurence and I had to deal with. Thank you so, so much for being as reliable a staff member as we had. Your unwavering commitment and attention to detail is amazing. You are on your way to great things. Be confident. I am proud to have you as my friend.

Michelle: It was great to see you come out of your shell when Syracuse played Michigan. Trey Burke should be at Ohio State!

Micah: I’m happy to have made a new friend in you this year. You fit into your role so perfectly and kicked ass all year. Your self-reflexive Scribbles often made the night better.

Jenna: “Rule of 3” is my favorite back page of all time.

Allen: Can I ask Chiu a question? You’re one of a kind.

Allie Berube: You came to this paper ready to go, more so than most freshmen I have seen. You did it as a designer and created legitimate multimedia on our website. Prioritize, but keep contributing.

Chris Voll: My savior. So many times. You have so much talent and we are so fortunate to have you. Work closely with Casey and Maddy and get yourself involved with the rest of the staff. The possibilities are endless, as you know.

Escalante: I’m happy I didn’t have to be the EIC to find your replacement. Your dedication for The D.O. isn’t unnoticed, at least by me. Show up on time for a board meeting at least once, though.

Upstatement: Thank you so, so, much. For everything this year. A great new website and it was so much fun putting it together. I am forever indebted to you all.

To my professors: I gave my all. My passion for being at this paper and producing it daily made it hard to deter my attention. But trust me when I say I tried my best. Thank you for putting up with me.

Casey: In one year, you went from a raw assistant news editor to now the heir apparent to run the paper. I know it took you awhile to apply for this job, but f*ck it, you did it. And you can do it great. This job is going to knock you down and it will kick you when you’re down. But I have seen you rise above in your role as news editor, and that means I’m in your corner. There is nothing more I want to see than you do better than I or any previous EIC has done. I’m at your disposal whenever you need me and I can’t wait to see the great things you do.

Meghin: I would not be editor in chief without you. I never believed in myself the way you believed in me. Through and through, you continued to be a supporter of whatever I wanted to do, even if I wasn’t totally sure I could do it. Even before EIC, you were my constant driver, whether it be in classes, with stories, as an editor, whatever. I admired you as news editor before I became a head editor myself, and I still admire how you gutted through such an insane half-year. This last year has been hell between us, but out of the fire I think we are both stronger people and stronger journalists. I can’t thank you enough. For everything. You have such an amazing drive. It was so, so tough not having you here this semester. I can’t wait to see you at graduation. I miss you.

Laurence: You’re one of the faces of this wonderful institution that is The D.O. For four years, you poured everything you had into this place, and the paper reaped the benefits. In such a high-stress environment this year, you were the mother to so many staff members, including sometimes myself. Thank you for being my calendar when I would get all mixed up. Thank you for being a voice of reason when I would get sidetracked. It feels like just yesterday we were shacked up in management conducting interviews for our first staff, and here we are, concluding the year with our second staff. So many people left, but so many people came, and your steady presence kept me sane through it all. Thank you again.

To the future of The Daily Orange: This place has given me so much. You get what you want out of it, but if you want to, you can gain a career path, journalistic skills, friends and so many life lessons. Newspapers are struggling, but The D.O. can succeed. Writers, remember that you’re working here and producing stories so they can be read. Photographers, capture stories, not just photographs. Do this, and reap the rewards as the paper remains successful. And if you are at all like me, your heart will never leave 744 Ostrom Ave.