The Daily Orange

Duck: Beth Fritzinger

Design Editor | Fall 2011-Spring 2013

Micah Benson | Art Director

744. The place that taught me more than Newhouse ever will. Walking through that red doorway was the best decision I’ve ever made. Design is where I belong and I’m so thankful to everyone in this house for showing me that. I love you guys.

Becca: You almost didn’t hire me! But then you did. You were an inspiration to me when you were PD. Thank you for hiring me and teaching me how to kern. I am forever grateful.

Dara: I told you how intimidated I was of you at first, but then I got to know you and you were pretty great. Thanks for being my first EIC and for forcing me to read the edit board. Because if I’m not reading them, who is? We both know it won’t be Lizzie.

Mark: It’s strange that when I started working in house, you were an assistant editor sitting next to me in the Sports office. Then, you worked your way up the ranks to become EIC. You were helpful, easy to talk to and typically took my side on design arguments. So thanks for that.

Chris: To my fellow redhead, I loved throwing paper airplanes at your head and tormenting you when I worked in Sports. But really, I always had a great time working with you. I just wish you‘d let me clean up the Sports office. You guys are hoarders.

Ryne: Can I have a mac? It’s OK, you don’t have to answer me right away…

Cohen: I’m glad we became friends after you left the house. That was pretty fun. You keep writing about sports and I’ll keep designing it.

Jacob Klinger: It’s attackman or attackbro. One heart.

Phil, Wilson, and Trevor: Sorry I talk so much.

Jon Harris: Your vignettes scarred me, but I’m really glad you came back to work in Sports. BoOoOoOoch.

Meghin: You will always be my senior. Don’t worry, I forgive you for always messing up my hair.

Meredith: NEWMAN. What up, slut? The Midwest is not the North. Sorry, but you lose this battle.

Jess: I guess there’s no one left for me to introduce you to. No matter. You made designing for News bearable.

Dylan: Seegzzzz. Keep on keeping on.

Nicki: As I told Meredith, the Midwest is not the North. End of story.

Brenden: Stop talking so much.

Casey: F*ck Brandon. See you at race, b*tch. I miss professor Rory and Shakespeare. That’s where we met! Meow. I know I don’t like News, but I like you. You’re from the South. You’re EIC next semester and I totally called it. You’re gonna do great things for this paper. Hate to say “I told you so …”

CDB: All for one and one for all. You are my cinema.

Kristin and Avery: I loved watching polar bear videos with you guys. Remember the washer that did the Harlem Shake?

Joe: Wish I could have worked with you more!

Boomer: So I hear your name is actually Edward?

Erik: Let’s tune out by turning on the radio.

Laurence: We were each other’s Secret Santa and we both got pens and food. We were meant to be. Thank you for everything.

Maddy: I enjoyed bothering the Sports boys with you.

Rachael: I read (almost) every edit board this semester. Be proud.

Lizzie: Remember that time we ran into each other at 3 a.m.? On a weeknight. That wouldn’t happen to normal people. Only people like us, who work at The D.O. and stay up until at least 3 on a regular basis. I couldn’t have asked for a better “other half.” Cutest D.O. Couple! Meow.

Stephanie Lin: I shadowed with you my first time at The D.O. I learned so much from you. Thank you for helping me become a better designer.

Allen: You’re 50 shades of qual’.

Ankur: I don’t even know where to start. I’m glad we became friends. I can only speak for myself, though. PHO 301 really brought us together. Shoot me. THAT VOICE! Ughhh.

Marwa, Michelle and Cheryl: It’s truly been a pleasure. There are no small pages — only small sketches.

AJ: The Three Saltines. I miss you, bud.

Dan: You do realize you were a designer and not a copy editor, right?

Chase, Luke and Sam: #TextOnPhotos. Sorry I asked for so many cutouts. You guys really are my favorite photo staff. Don’t listen to certain photographers who think they know everything. Seriously. Trust your gut.

Micah: You’re pretty good at drawing, I guess.

Teresa: I wish you worked at The D.O. with me. You would have never done your homework, though, and that wouldn’t have been good. You’re a crazy roommate, but I’ve seen worse. Love you, Trini.

Jess Ordaz: It always amused me when you would come in at 8 p.m. on a Friday and ask if I had to work that night. Well, we don’t put out a paper on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. It’s OK because you were busy with your architecture stuff and you’re amazing at it. Thanks for watching “Pretty Little Liars” with me.

Nick: I tried my hardest to get Sports to change “attack” to “attackman,” but they just wouldn’t budge. It meant so much to me that you started to pick up the paper every day to see my work. Also, thank you for dealing with the fact that I wasn’t around a lot and when I was, I was sleeping. It amazes me that you are able to put up with me, but you do and that’s why we work. I love you and our future munchkin kitten named Draco.

Mom: Thank you for convincing me to go to the D.O. Open House. I owe you. xo

Dad: I miss you.

To those of you who quit during Fall 2012: We’re doing just fine without you. I hope your grades and/or social life are improving.

Future of The D.O.: Good luck, we’re all counting on you.

To the people who thought I was crazy for taking this job: To Joe, the Watson doorman, who greeted me brightly at 3 a.m. To those who still don’t quite know what being a design editor entails. And to all the D.O. haters — yes, I just used the term “haters” — this is what my time here has amounted to. A couple of solid clips, some fantastic friends, a messed up sleep cycle and these 1150-ish words. It was all worth it.

Damn, I should have been a writer.