The Daily Orange

Duck: Avery Hartmans

Asst. Copy Editor | Fall 2012-Spring 2013

Micah Benson | Art Director

Someone once told me that The Daily Orange is like the Island of Misfit Toys, and after two semesters, I’d have to agree. But as tough as it is and as long as the hours are, having my name on the masthead has been an honor. I’ll miss 744 Ostrom and everyone in it. Good luck and go Delta Omega.

Mark and Laurence: Thank you for your guidance and for trying to make the paper the best it could be. But most of all, thank you for hiring me last spring.

Beth: You are perhaps the sassiest person I’ve ever met. Thanks for never taking anyone’s bullsh*t and for always making Pulp look awesome.

Chase: You stepped up to the plate under difficult circumstances and I have a lot of respect for how you handled a daunting task. You helped turn the reputation of Photo around and that’s something people won’t forget. Also, I hope your body is feeling good today.

Casey: I check out your outfit every time I see you and I hope to someday read the journal that describes what you wore each day in high school. But besides being best dressed, you did a great job at what I think is the toughest position here. As you take the helm, know that everyone on staff — past and present — is rooting for you.

Joe: The downside of working two days a week is that we never got to hang out. I can’t wait to see what you do as an assistant and thank you for being such an excellent other half.

Luke: I appreciate your willingness to drop whatever you’re doing to watch a polar bear video, and I’m probably not going to stop sending you photos of our little friend anytime soon. I’ll miss seeing you.

Marwa: My fellow Buffalo gal. No one else understands us or what real wings taste like. You’re brilliant and your writing puts the rest of us to shame. Can’t wait to hit up the Chip Strip with you.

Lizzie: You may be missing your calling by not being a Madewell model — it’s really too bad you had to be all talented and ambitious and stuff. Good luck as you continue as PD, but I know you don’t need it. You got this, girl.

Ankur: Though I occasionally bridled at your vague, unhelpful clues about the location of the ponies and got sick of hoofing it around in search of my tiny friends, you still managed to jockey for a position as one of my favorite people in house. It didn’t hurt that you ponied up an extra friend in the end. I know you’ll miss me, but try to rein in your feelings.

Meredith: I know you’ll do a sensational job as news editor. You are strong, independent and a role model to young women. And look on the bright side: No one is going to yell at you to run faster for those sirens anymore.

Erik: You took the helm last fall when Pulp was struggling and helped make my first-ever semester enjoyable after all. And when we needed you in an 11th-hour crisis, you came in and saved the day. Thank you.

Sam: Forcing you to partake in your first-ever E&J Brandy chug was the best decision I’ve ever made.

Kristin and Chelsea: So as not to incite Chelsea’s FOMO, I’m putting you two together. I never thought when I started working here that I would find two wonderful friends, but you were the reason I looked forward to coming to work. I’ll miss G-chatting from across the room and our in-depth conversations about you-know-what. Chelsea, have an amazing semester abroad and when you come back, we’re absolutely writing that drinking column. Kristin, I know you’ll make Pulp the best section of the paper. But we all know it already is. Love you, guys.

Future D.O.‘ers: Try not to screw it up. And if you do, know that you’re not the first and certainly not the last. It all comes together in the end and one day, you’ll look back on this as the best decision you made in college. Best of luck.