Ann Coulter’s upcoming visit to SU sparks reactions from College Democrats, Republicans

Ann Coulter’s upcoming visit to campus has sparked a variety of reactions from Syracuse University students on both sides of the political aisle.

Coulter, a conservative social and political commentator, will visit SU on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. She will give a talk in Gifford Auditorium titled, “How the Liberal Mob is Endangering America.” The event is sponsored by the SU College Republicans.

Coulter has come to SU twice before. In 2003, she came to campus to give a lecture called “Liberalism and Terrorism: Different Stages of the Same Disease.” She also came to SU in 2006.

She’s a well-known conservative voice in the movement,” said James Ward, president of College Republicans. “It seemed pretty logical for us to bring her here.”

Bringing Coulter to campus is a part of the College Republicans’ push for more diverse conservative voices on campus, said Ward, a junior environmental engineering major.

This academic year, the group has brought former Republican presidential candidates Steve Forbes and Mike Huckabee to campus, Ward said. They also brought conservative commentator Michelle Malkin to SU in March 2011, he added.

“It’s important to understand our convictions and question them,” Ward said. “Have an open mind is what I say for people to have when they come to our lectures.”

Coulter is a nationally syndicated columnist and New York Times best-selling author. She graduated from Cornell University and went to law school.

In a statement, Chris Leist, president of the SU College Democrats, said the group strongly disagrees with Coulter’s views on many issues.

“College Republicans can bring whoever they want to campus, but bringing someone with such extreme and insensitive views is unproductive for our community,” Leist said in the statement. “Her rhetoric is often offensive and conflicts with the safe, tolerant community we strive for here at SU.”

But Ward said that part of a liberal arts education is being well rounded and interacting with people from different backgrounds and with different beliefs. While Coulter is demonized in the media, her statements are often satirical, he added.

Kaycie Miltenberger, acting president of the College Democrats, said she was surprised the College Republicans would invite such a controversial figure to campus.

“I’m kind of in disbelief,” said Miltenberger, a senior political science and public relations major. “I think even among some Republicans, she’s not well respected.”

The College Democrats do not currently have any plans to protest Coulter’s visit. With the semester winding down, it is difficult to gather enough people for a protest, Miltenberger said. But she added that she wouldn’t be surprised if people protested the visit.

Miltenberger doesn’t plan on attending Coulter’s talk, but said she has attended College Republicans events in the past to learn more about various viewpoints.

There have been protesters at College Republicans events in the past, Ward said, including the Malkin event and when former President George W. Bush adviser Karl Rove came to SU in February 2012. If there are protesters, Ward said the College Republicans are fully prepared and have the necessary security in place.

“Whether you agree with her or not, it’s important to attend to understand your stance on the issues being discussed,” Ward said. “It’s the least you can do.”