Final Four

After Ware’s gruesome leg injury, Louisville has extra motivation to win NCAA Tournament

Kevin Ware’s gruesome leg injury during Louisville’s win over Duke in the Elite Eight Sunday ended his run in the NCAA Tournament, but gave the Cardinals one more significant reason to fight through the championship game. Already a formidable team with a stifling defense and balanced offense, Louisville now has added drive to win the Tournament for Ware.

With just over six minutes left in the first half on Sunday, Ware ran from the lane to close out on Duke guard Tyler Thornton, who was about to shoot a 3-pointer from the right wing. Ware jumped up to block the shot, but was late. When he landed, his right leg buckled underneath him. His leg broke, and the bone broke through the skin. It left a horrendous scene until team trainers quickly covered his leg with a towel.

Head coach Rick Pitino said he nearly vomited, and some of the Cardinals were close to fainting.

Ware was taken to a hospital for emergency surgery. While he was there, Louisville dominated the Blue Devils, eventually winning the Midwest Regional final in an 85-63 blowout.

After having the surgery, Ware is already back up and walking, Pitino said on a teleconference Monday. Pitino said he visited Ware Sunday night and said he was in “great spirits.”

“He’s up and about. He’s on crutches walking,” Pitino said. “They want his blood flowing. They only thing they’re concerned about at this point in the next 48 hours, becomes the bone comes out of the skin, they’re concerned of a chance of infection. If not infection takes place, he’ll be very excited.”

Pitino said Ware will likely be out of the hospital by Tuesday, and will remarkably be with the Cardinals when they fly to Atlanta – Ware’s hometown – for the Final Four.

When Pitino went to the hospital Sunday night, be brought the Midwest Regional championship trophy with him and left it with Ware. He was a major reason for Louisville winning even though he couldn’t be on the court with his team.

“He said ‘Just win the basketball game, I’ll be fine, get me home to Atlanta.’ He kept repeating it over and over,” Pitino said. “That was the only words coming out of his mouth to the players: Just win the game.”