Pulp

3fifteen thrift shop hosts workshops for fiscal fashionistas

Lace up that old pair of sneakers and don’t throw out those old, tattered shorts. The 3fifteen thrift shop has the supplies to salvage any worn-out clothes.

The 3fifteen thrift shop, located next to Café Kubal in Marshall Square Mall, is hosting its brand-new do-it-yourself fashion workshops the next two Fridays in April from noon to 3 p.m. Intended to revitalize any wardrobe in time for MayFest, the workshops will give students a chance to find another use for their clothes.

“Maybe you have a pair of shorts you want to fix a pocket on, or maybe there’s an old pair of kicks you want to make snazzy again,” said Amanda Rockwell, the communications specialist for the Rescue Mission and senior writing and rhetoric major at Syracuse University. “You can bring anything.”

Students interested in repurposing their clothing can take anything from their closet and redesign it with supplies from the thrift shop. This Friday’s workshop theme is Studs & Spikes. Next week is Lace & Leather.

The event is $5 to refashion personal belongings and $3 to work on something bought from the store. All proceeds will be donated to the Rescue Mission, which has served the Central New York community since 1887.

The organization, driven by the mission to end hunger and homelessness, offers emergency shelter and meals to those in need in Syracuse, Auburn, Binghamton and Ithaca. Although shelter is usually only provided for men ages 18 and older, three meals a day are offered to anyone who asks. No one is turned away. When the weather gets cold, the homeless can also spend time indoors at specific Rescue Mission hubs where counselors wait to offer advice.

Rockwell said most college students feel strained when it comes to clothes and work. The combination of 3fifteen and Café Kubal, both partners with the Rescue Mission, can help with that.

They have coffee for the sleepless and cheap clothes for those with a tight budget. And all purchases made at 3fifteen go toward the “shop for a greater good” mission.

Rockwell said graduating seniors should consider donating home appliances and old clothing to 3fifteen, rather than throwing them out.

Said Rockwell: “Everyone, including myself, is just looking for the end of the semester and graduation. With so much going on, they often don’t know what to do with extra and unnecessary appliances they find when packing up to go home. That’s where 3fifteen comes in.”