Crime

Two Syracuse football players among 4 arrested, charged with burglary of South Campus apartment

UPDATED: March 6, 6:50 p.m.

Four Syracuse University students, including two Syracuse football players, were arrested on charges of burglarizing South Campus apartments on Feb. 23, according to Syracuse police.

All four students were arraigned in Syracuse City Court on Wednesday.

Defensive end Markus Pierce-Brewster and defensive tackle Davon Walls are both charged with second-degree burglary and petit larceny after burglarizing an apartment on the 400 block of Winding Ridge Road while the residents were sleeping, according to court documents. They’re accused of stealing a flat-screen television, an Xbox gaming system, two iPods and Xbox games, worth a total of approximately $950.

“We are very disappointed and do not in any way condone the alleged behavior that resulted in these charges,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said in a statement. “This does not represent the core values of our program or the conduct expected of student-athletes representing Syracuse football. We will be following the judicial process and will act accordingly.”

During the burglary, Pierce-Brewster stayed outside of the apartment and acted as a “lookout” while Walls entered the apartment through the unlocked back door at about 1:15 a.m., according to court documents.

The SU Department of Public Safety’s video surveillance cameras captured video of Pierce-Brewster and Walls in possession of the stolen property, according to court documents. Additionally, DPS Commander Vernon Thompson identified Walls as one of the suspects in the incident, according to court documents.

The footage also shows Pierce-Brewster driving his car up to his own apartment and, together with Walls, taking the stolen property out of the car and carrying it into the apartment, according to court documents.

Pierce-Brewster, a junior, is a JUCO transfer from the City College of San Francisco. He played in 13 games for Syracuse last season, racking up 30 total tackles, 11 of them solo, and one sack. He’s one of only two returning starters on Syracuse’s defensive line.

Walls, a junior, is a JUCO transfer from Coahoma Community College in Mississippi. The Brooklyn, N.Y., native played in only three games for the Orange last season.

In two separate incidents, two SU students, Erwing Augustin and Bradley Valik, both sophomores in the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science, were also arrested on charges of burglary on the 400 block of Winding Ridge Road and the 200 block of Winding Ridge Road, which took place Feb. 23.

Both are charged with two counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of petit larceny, according to court documents.

Augustin and Valik are accused of stealing a flat-screen television, a Playstation gaming system, six Playstation video games and an amplifier from an apartment on the 200 block of Winding Ridge Road. The total value of the property was more than $1,000, according to court documents.

DPS security cameras captured footage of Augustin and Valik carrying the stolen property into their apartment, according to court documents.

The two are also accused of stealing a flat-screen television, a set of Xbox controllers and an Xbox gaming system from an apartment on the 400 block of Winding Ridge Road at about 1:30 a.m. The total value of the stolen property is estimated at about $750, according to court documents.

— Asst. News Editor Jessica Iannetta contributed reporting to this article.