Liberal

Rockler: Hagel’s rightful urge for restrained influence abroad frustrates conservatives

When Chuck Hagel was sworn in as defense secretary last week, he argued that the United States could not dictate to the world what to do regarding domestic policy. He said the United States has limited resources and must use them wisely. Hagel is correct, but his views will likely anger conservatives who think he is not preserving America’s tough, commanding image.

Hagel, who spoke to Pentagon staff after being sworn in, said, “I’ve always believed that America’s role in the world is one that — and we’ve had variations of this throughout history — has been one that should engage the world.” For conservatives who like seeing shows of military strength, Hagel’s view of limited American influence is unappealing. But Hagel’s viewpoints will guide America in the right direction.

Hagel’s comments are only the latest in a series of occurrences that frustrate conservatives with the lack of toughness Obama’s administration has conveyed. Republican presidential candidates repeatedly criticized Obama for bowing to foreign leaders as a sign of respect. They saw it as a sign of submissiveness and Obama’s inability to properly represent America.

Gov. Mitt Romney attacked Obama for going on an “apology tour” to the Middle East, as if the United States had done nothing wrong and made no mistakes. Conservatives need to better understand the history of this country and foreign policy. The United States has been to blame for the current state of the Middle East.

The United States has supported leaders and regimes in the Middle East that have been toppled in the Arab Spring. Past leaders provided financial assistance to former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak for arms. In the 1950s, the United States supported a military coup in Iran, rather than allow a democratically elected Iranian president to lead. Obama apologized for little of the United States’ long history in the region.

The United States does not need toughness. We saw the result of this attitude under the George W. Bush administration. The need to vigorously pursue terrorism got us into Iraq. The United States spent trillions of dollars for no tangible benefit. Invading and occupying Iraq made our intelligence look weak, and showed America as a country overly willing to engage in conflict.

In 2002, Hagel voted to authorize the war Iraq, possibly signaling he has not always believed the United States shouldn’t dictate what the world should do. He now wants to use military power as a last resort. Hopefully, this emphasis on diplomacy is what becomes reality.

Some in the United States may want to further involve the country in conflicts ongoing or emerging in Syria or Iran. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) called for U.S.-led airstrikes on Syria this past weekend. He said, “If we stand on the sidelines, others will try to pick winners, and this will not always be to our liking or in our interest.”

McCain’s view is outdated – he believes the United States has limitless power to carry out its foreign policy. Hagel’s view is more realistic. The United States may not always want to use its military to see its interests are followed. McCain and other conservatives need to accept that the United States may not always get its way all the time.

Maintaining an image of militaristic superiority is important to some conservatives, but this is not what the United States should prioritize. We have already suffered the consequences of trying to assert our superiority.

Hagel’s viewpoints appear to guide the country in the right direction. Rather than focus our efforts on influencing other countries, we should focus efforts on improving our own.

Harmen Rockler is a senior newspaper and online journalism and political science major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected] or followed on Twitter at @LeftofBoston.