Fashion

Mariotti: During class, dress well to improve self-confidence and self-esteem

Last week, I happened to catch an episode of  “Pretty Little Liars.” I understand it isn’t supposed to be the most realistic show, but I had a hard time taking it seriously.

Not because there is a villain with the moniker “Red Coat” who incidentally creeps around in a red trench coat. Not because people fake their deaths and “come back to life.” Not because someone is obviously trying to kill these girls and no one seems to believe them.

What made me most skeptical about the show are the outfits these high-school students wear while sleuthing to find out who “A” is. The teens on “Pretty Little Liars,” who live in a small East Coast town, traipse around their school with designer bags, 4-inch heels and immaculately styled hair.

I would think they would be more occupied with finding out who is trying to kill them than shopping and primping. But I guess, in order to enjoy this show, viewers have to suspend all disbelief.

The costume designer for the show is aware and unapologetic about the ridiculous looks. Designer Mandi Line told CNN, “Why be conservative about hemlines and heel heights on a show where a teacher is dating a student and a drunk girl can’t remember if she dug up her friend’s dead body?” Good point.

This statement made me think about what looks are acceptable for class.

Maybe I’m so shocked by the over-the-top ensembles on these television shows because on a daily basis at Syracuse University, I see people wearing sweats with their hair piled into a messy bun. A lot of people on this campus don’t seem to care about what they look like.

But it’s hard to say what is acceptable attire for class.

On one hand, after an all-night study session, it’s almost impossible to try and look nice for class the next day. Besides, college is most likely the last time you can show up looking like a slob.

On the other hand, you are in public, and your appearance is directly related to how you are perceived by classmates and professors. You should think of every class as a networking opportunity — and dress accordingly.

I believe taking pride in the way you dress is a great way to gain confidence and for others to have confidence in you. And while dressing up for an earth sciences lecture may seem unnecessary, looking nice for a class could help your grades by putting you in a good frame of mind.

I’m not advocating wearing a ball gown to class, of course. But wearing a hoodie shows you don’t really care.

Dress how you want to be perceived.

Ever seen the show “What Not to Wear” on TLC? While hosts Stacy and Clinton might be overly insensitive, their goal is noble. What the show teaches viewers is that you need to dress for the job — and the life — you want to have.

Makeover shows may seem a little demeaning, but I think some people need to have their style — or lack of style — redefined. “What Not to Wear” focuses on getting people to dress appropriately for their job, age, as well as improve their confidence.

While there is a hard-to-distinguish line between overdressing and under-dressing, I believe it’s always better to be overdressed. Think about class like a job interview. You wouldn’t show up to a job interview under-dressed, would you?

While overdressed high-school students might be a little hard to believe, we’re in college now. Dressing nicely can boost your confidence, improve others’ perception of you and even help you get a job.

Allison Mariotti is a senior magazine journalism major. She has too many shoes to count, but could always use another pair. Her fashion column appears every Monday in Pulp. She can be reached at [email protected].