Former SU athletics employee Springfield absent from hearing; case adjourned for March 25

The former media director for the Syracuse University athletics department accused of secretly videotaping male athletes in locker rooms did not attend a scheduled court hearing Friday.

Roger Springfield, who served as SU’s Athletics director of media production, was slated to appear in front of Judge Thomas Miller Friday morning at 9:30 a.m. By 11 a.m., neither Springfield nor his attorney were present, leaving Miller to adjourn the case for March 25. Springfield was fired from the university in December.

Springfield, whose legal name is Roger Cahak, is charged with four counts of unlawful surveillance for separate locker room recordings of the men’s football, lacrosse and soccer teams between 2010 and 2012.

Springfield’s lawyer, James McGraw previously said he doesn’t believe Springfield will be convicted of the charges and that there is no evidence of “sexual misbehavior or anything else.”

Comments

University Politics

University Senate approves degree completion support plan for students affected by immigration policies

The resolution passed on Wednesday states that if students affected by immigration policies complete 75 percent or more of the credits and requirements for their respective degrees, there would be “maximum opportunity” extended to facilitate completion of their degree program with Syracuse University credits. Read more »