Carter-Williams delivers cathartic performance in Sweet 16 against Indiana just 5 days after fire at home

Nate Shron | Staff Photographer

Syracuse point guard Michael Carter-Williams shoots a floater in the lane over Indiana big man Cody Zeller.

WASHINGTON — Michael Carter-Williams’ season has straddled the line between spectacular and subpar, dazzling and disappointing. He’s been a hero in some games, the culprit in others. With Syracuse’s season on the line, in a game against one of the best teams in the nation, Carter-Williams was everything the Orange needed him to be.

Aggressive in the lane. Confident from the arc. Relentless on defense.

Carter-Williams scored 24 points on 9-of-19 shooting, including a 3-of-6 performance from the perimeter, to help lead fourth-seeded Syracuse (29-9) to a 61-50 win over No. 1-seed Indiana (29-7) in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament at the Verizon Center in Washington. He used his lengthy frame to his advantage on Thursday night, giving the undersized Indiana guards a seemingly impossible task in trying to defend him. And he did all of this less than one week after his home in Hamilton, Mass., caught fire and forced his family out of its home for the foreseeable future.

“We’ve been going through some tough times and I’m just trying to bring a smile to my family’s faces and have them enjoy themselves,” Carter-Williams said.

Carter-Williams finished with only one assist Thursday, but he took care of the bulk of the scoring.

Whether it was a fast-break layup he made in the game’s opening minutes, or a 3-pointer he hit from the left wing that gave Syracuse a 14-5 lead, Carter-Williams asserted himself as the Orange’s most dangerous threat on this night. He reaffirmed that when he nailed a contested 3 from the top of the key, just before falling to the ground from the contact he absorbed, to give Syracuse a commanding 27-11 lead.

Head coach Jim Boeheim said he told Carter-Williams earlier in the game to take a 3 even though he didn’t think he’d make it. But if it gave Indiana the idea that he was going to shoot, the Hoosiers would have to defend him outside, which would open up the middle. To Boeheim’s surprise and Syracuse’s benefit, and to the Hoosiers’ frustration, he made it — plus two more.

“He made a couple of them and he’s a different player when he can make that shot,” Boeheim said. “We couldn’t get assists because they weren’t coming off.”

Carter-Williams didn’t need to create assists.

It’s been a strange season for the sophomore guard. He’s had brilliant games like this one and a 15-point, 12-assist performance against Providence on Feb. 20. He’s also had forgettable games, including a dreadful one against Temple where he missed eight free throws and shouldered the brunt of the blame for Syracuse losing to the Owls.

Against Georgetown in the Big East tournament, he had only three points on 1-of-7 shooting, and also committed six turnovers.

Through all the struggles, Carter-Williams said he remained confident, believing he was a better player than any of those nights that might depict otherwise. He’s also had assistant coach Gerry McNamara constantly in his ear, reminding him of everything he can do.

“When I watch him play and I watch him late in games this year, he’s never afraid to make plays or make mistakes,” McNamara said after Thursday’s win. “To me, that’s being a leader. That’s taking responsibility. I’ve kind of just reassured him of that. I’ve told him over and over that he sets the tone for us.”

Against Indiana, that tone was aggressiveness, and the Hoosiers couldn’t match it. Carter-Williams repeatedly sliced through Indiana’s defense, drove the lane through traffic, and made tough layups. When he had good looks on the arc, he knocked down big 3s.

His four steals at the other end of the floor only added even more to his heroics.

Carter-Williams’ final 3-pointer gave SU a 51-37 lead with just over nine minutes left in the game. As he dribbled the ball at the top of the key and directed his teammates on Syracuse’s next possession, the Orange’s fans began clapping and cheering for SU’s sure-handed leader.

When the game was over, Carter-Williams went over to see his smiling mother, just five days after her heartache. On Thursday, Carter-Williams delivered a performance that elicited euphoria.

“He’s been very aggressive for us, he’s knocking down some shots,” forward C.J. Fair said. “I’m glad he had his coming out party today at the right point in time.”