Boeheim tells Dan Patrick show he won’t retire this year

Jim Boeheim won’t be retiring after this season, he said in an interview on the Dan Patrick Show Friday.

“I did say a couple times I’m close to retirement,” Boeheim said. “Of course, I said that 10 years ago, too. So I’m still here.”

He added that a comment he made after the Orange’s March 9 61-39 loss to Georgetown about looking forward to playing golf was simply geared toward this summer, something he always does. Some had interpreted the comment as a hint toward impending retirement, but Boeheim later called it a joke.

“I never thought that this was my last year. In coaching, when you have a couple bad games, you wish it was your last day sometimes, but it’s something I’ve been doing for a long time, and I have no plans,” Boeheim said. “I’m not doing it next year. But, obviously, 30-something years is a long time to do anything. I don’t know.”

He also joked about his declining golf form.

When asked how his family would vote on him retiring Boeheim insisted he’d be voted into continuing his career unanimously.

“Every time I’m home for a week, they want me out of the house,” Boeheim said. “It would be a 4-0 vote and the dog would go right with him. It’s time for you to get out of here. Go back to work.”

In his 37th season at the helm No. 4-seed Syracuse faces No. 5-seed California Saturday night in the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Tip-off is set for about 9:40 p.m. Boeheim is 49-28 all-time in the Tournament.