Wide receiver Cooper highlights Orange Class of 2013

Shafer said he wanted to bring playmakers to the program. He found one in wide receiver Corey Cooper. Scout.com rated the 6-foot, 185-pound wide receiver from Millbrook High School in Raleigh, N.C., a three-star recruit.

“He’s a playmaking guy,” head coach Scott Shafer said. “He makes acrobatic plays across the board, both down the field on the outside and across the middle.”

Moore, Syracuse’s wide receiver coach, said Cooper has the potential to be a great receiver. The Orange is losing starting wide receivers Alec Lemon and Marcus Sales, so Cooper could be given a starting role depending on how he performs in training camp.

Moore said that while the potential’s there, Cooper still needs to mature.

“You have to be careful about what you say about freshmen,” Moore said. “They still have to develop, they still have to come in and perform. But he has the ability to be an excellent football player. It’s going to be up to us to make sure we develop him and give him all the tools he needs to be successful.”