Pulp

Q&A with Tyler Soltis, company manager of Blue Man Group

The Blue Man Group performed at The Landmark Theatre this weekend from Jan. 31-Feb. 3. The show is an ebullient collection of sights, sounds and musical performances with paint and surreal comedic sketches. The Daily Orange talked to Tyler Soltis, S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications alumnus and company manager of the Blue Man Group.

The Daily Orange: What is it like being company manager of the Blue Man Group?

Tyler Soltis: It’s pretty fun… the guys are great and there’s so much energy around them. It’s not hard to like it… this show seems to be categorically loved… there are hard days and it’s more technical than other shows since it’s so specific. It’s a gigantic show, which is challenging with a small cast and it’s just me [as company manager]. I don’t have an assistant.

What is the process for traveling to and setting up shows in each venue?

Soltis: We always need to make sure we have time for setting up each show. If we add 30 seconds of video content for a show, we need to reconfigure the rest of the system and we need eight hours to do that. As far as traveling, it seems logical that when we book the shows, that everything would be linear. In reality, it’s not like that. We come back through cities and sometimes travel in circles.

How is it watching the crowd’s reactions to the shows?

Soltis: It’s very rewarding. I don’t get to go into the audience all that much, but when I do, it’s fun being able to cheer your head off, and it’s sold out and everyone’s screaming. It’s a thrill. It erases whatever hardship you were going through that day. It’s so much fun. I wish I could do it more often, but I’m too busy backstage. People have to stay positive, and it makes it all more worthwhile.

Did you see yourself ever becoming Blue Man Group’s company manager?

Soltis: I had no idea that this is what I was going to be doing. I went to Newhouse and I was a broadcast journalism major. I didn’t take any theatre classes. But I took a different path, and somehow I’m doing this! It’s great. I’m glad I did. I sometimes wonder if I stuck to journalism since I still love it. Evidently, though, I had a different calling, and I never would change this in a million years.