University Lecture

Ocean rower to speak about sustainability, environmentalism

Record-setting ocean rower Roz Savage will speak to the Syracuse University community Wednesday about her insights on life purpose, motivation, spirituality and sustainability.

Savage, who holds four world records for ocean rowing, will speak in Hendricks Chapel at 7:30 p.m. as a part of SU’s University Lectures series. The lecture, called “The Human Condition: An Ocean Rower’s Perspective” is free and open to the public.

The sport management program in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics is co-sponsoring the event.

Savage left her career as a management consultant in London to become the first woman to row across the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. National Geographic named her the 2010 Adventurer of the Year, and she is involved in various environmental organizations, according to a Feb. 18 SU News release.

“I hope students learn from her story,” said Kate Veley, events and alumni manager for Falk. “She went from someone behind a desk to someone who’s done something no one else has.”

Esther Gray, coordinator for University Lectures, said she decided to add Savage to the series at the recommendation of a colleague from another university. Gray was impressed that Savage rowed solo across three oceans, she said, and the more she learned, the more she thought Savage would interest students.

Savage’s rowing experience will impress more than just athletes, Gray said.

Engineering students have expressed interest in her rowboat, curious about its design and how it fits all of Savage’s gear. Business students want to learn how she marketed herself and found sponsors after walking away from her career. Savage’s work to end the use of plastic bottles appeals to environmentalists, she said.

“She has so much to teach us, and I, for one, can’t wait to hear what she has to say,” Gray said.

Like Gray, Carli Flynn, a doctoral student in civil and environmental engineering, said she’s excited to hear Savage speak. Flynn said she thinks students will be able to relate to Savage’s story on both a personal and professional level.

“I think students will take away a big picture to overcome adversity and challenge themselves to do something that is their dream,” Flynn said. “It’s about trying to achieve something that has a bigger purpose than just your career path or something you’re stuck doing.”

Savage, who works to draw attention to environmental issues in the ocean, will speak to a city with its own ties to rowing. Syracuse used to host the largest collegiate regatta in the country, Justin Moore, head coach of the women’s rowing team, said in an email. The regatta was canceled in 1994 due to excessive pollution in Onondaga Lake, which was once considered the most polluted lake in America.

“We have our own history that involves rowing, water and pollution,” he said.

Sharon Alestalo, program manager for Women in Science and Engineering at SU, said Savage exemplifies someone who took action to make her dreams come to fruition. She said she thinks students can learn a lot from Savage’s decision to embark on such a unique path.

Said Alestalo: “To do such a non-traditional thing for any working adult, especially a  woman, is important for all of our students on campus to see and understand.”