Faculty, students react to SU’s “A+ for B students” ranking

U.S. News & World Report ranked Syracuse University tied for second on its list of “A+ Schools for B Students” for national universitiesin its most recent ranking, sparking reactions from SU students and alumni.

In addition to SU, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry was also ranked on the list.

“I’m seriously offended,” said Madeline Chait, a freshmanpolitical science major. “I worked really hard to get in here.”

U.S. News & World Report examined two key elements: ranking on the publication’s Best College Rankings list and the average freshman retention rate. U.S. News sees its ranking as a sign of excellence, while the freshman retention rate can be a sign of student satisfaction, according U.S. News’ website. Many in the SU community had mixed reactions regarding the findings.

Other factors used to compile the rankings include: class rank and the admittance of a significant number of non-A students, which is determined by the critical reading and math sections of the SAT or composite ACT scores. Whichever exam had the most submissions for fall 2011 is used for the calculation, according the website.

The total number of students applying to the university has increased to more than 25,000 this year. SU’s admission rate was about 51 percent for the most recent class.

Don Saleh, vice president for enrollment management at SU, said in a March 2, 2011 Inside Higher Ed article that U.S. News rewards colleges for high rejection rates. SU ranks No. 58 nationally.

Not all of the colleges at SU accept the same number or the same percentage of applicants each year, said Melissa Chessher, chair of the magazine journalism department in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. She added that it is better for the university as a whole to have a single acceptance rate displayed.

But regardless of how the acceptance rate is displayed, the ranking disappointed alumna Harriette Parton. 

“It makes me feel sad and disappointed,” said Parton, who graduated in 1963 with an associate’s degree in music from the College of Visual and Performing Arts.

She said the ranking would greatly affect students who want a first class education and might make them think twice about coming to SU.

Said Parton: “It takes the wind out of my sails. I considered it ranked pretty highly then, and now.”