Crime

DPS reminds students to lock doors, secure property

After a recent string of burglaries in the East neighborhood and South Campus, the Department of Public Safety is urging students to remember to lock their doors and windows.

“If you can secure your unattended property and lock your doors — that’s what we’re asking you to do,” said Vernon Thompson, commander of DPS’ Investigations and Crime Prevention Unit. “That could go a long way in deterring a lot of things that go on.”

DPS has posted two alerts about the burglaries. The first was sent out last Wednesday to people living off campus about burglaries and larcenies on the 500 and 600 blocks of Euclid Avenue. The other was sent out Monday to students living on South Campus about burglaries in the Winding Ridge Road area.

Thompson said there were two crimes reported in each area, but there’s no indication they’re connected. The common theme in all four, he said, is that they’re unforced or property is left out in the open.

This includes expensive items such as MacBooks and GPS units being left in sight in the front or back seats of cars, Thompson said.

Often, these crimes are committed by other students, he said. Thompson described them as “crimes of opportunity.”

As a response, DPS is increasing its patrols through the University Area Crime-Control Team and Orange Watch. This increase usually continues until the burglars are caught, he said, or officers are needed in a different area.

Syracuse University has taken preventative steps with housing, such as installing improved locks to prevent burglaries, he said. But students should still be proactive.

“We’ve made the apartments very secure,” Thompson said. “But they’re not secure if you don’t lock them — if you leave them unlocked.”