Tennis

Doubles team of Safdar, Rodgers continues winning streak in home victory over West Virginia

Amanda Rodgers and Komal Safdar beat West Virginia’s Emily Mathis and Audrey Wooland 8-4 in their doubles match Saturday morning. It was their fourth straight doubles victory, a streak that has given consistency to an otherwise struggling Syracuse team this season.

Their success as a doubles pair is driven by complementary playing styles and communication.

“Both of these players are opposite in so many ways. One’s righty, one’s lefty, one’s tall, one’s short, one’s a communications major, one’s a pre-med track major,” Syracuse head coach Luke Jensen said. “But they come together, they jell together. I think the personalities are the closest of all the teammates.”

Their victory Saturday helped Syracuse dominate West Virginia 6-1 at Drumlins.

Rodgers and Safdar started playing as a doubles pair in the fourth match of the season, a Jan. 19 matchup with Georgia State. Though Georgia State beat the Orange 5-2, it was the start of the sophomores’ winning streak. They haven’t lost as a doubles pair this season.

Rodgers and Safdar pride themselves on their ability to mesh as a unit. While their friendship and playing styles have contributed to their recent winning streak, Jensen sees some room for improvement as they move forward.

The rangy 5-foot-11 Rodgers and the quick 5-foot-6 Safdar play to their strengths as individuals. Each has qualities the other can use to improve her game.

“I think we set each other up really well for our points,” Safdar said. “She has a big serve, and I can take over at the net. If I’m serving, she’s really aggressive at the net. She’s tall.”

Jensen said Rodgers and Safdar’s differences cause problems for opposing pairs. The differences in their game are stark, even down to their ball flight.

“Rodgers plays with more spin, Komal plays flatter with the ball,” Jensen said. “Komal likes to come in, Rodgers likes to stay back. They cover all areas.”

Jensen said they are a talented duo that knows one another well and uses that to their advantage. Communication, understanding and trust have been essential to their recent winning streak, Jensen said.

While they’ve set the tone at the beginning of matches with their doubles success, Jensen said he wants to see more out of Rodgers and Safdar. They’ve had letdowns at points in the season, and Jensen would like to see them exhibit more intensity. They’ve had a tendency to let other teams back into matches.

“They’re so talented, they get a lead and then they kind of fall back,” Jensen said. “And the other side, they’re going to make a run.”

Jensen talked to the pair at Saturday’s match, when they seemed to be losing their edge. He attempted to instill intensity, emphasizing that focus is essential to refusing to allow opponents back into matches.

Rodgers and Safdar said they enjoy balancing intensity and fun on the court. It may be a challenge for some doubles partners, but it hasn’t been a challenge for them, Safdar said.

Moving forward, the pair is confident that its success will continue. The combination has been working for the Orange, and Rodgers and Safdar are enjoying their time playing together.

“It’s a force out there when we’re together,” Rodgers said.