University Union

DJ Pauly D, rapper Rockie Fresh to headline Winter Carnival concert

Syracuse University’s annual Winter Carnival concert will feature headliner electronic dance musician DJ Pauly D and Maybach Music Group rapper Rockie Fresh.

The show, hosted by University Union and the Traditions Commission, is slated for a 7:30 p.m. start time in Goldstein Auditorium on Thursday, Feb. 21.

“Environment is everything,” said Sarah Fleisher, UU’s director of public relations. “The Goldstein Auditorium lends itself best to a DJ or hip-hop act, as opposed to a larger band.”

Tickets for the show go on sale Monday at 11 a.m. at the Schine Box Office. Tickets are available for all SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students and staff, and cost $10 with a valid college ID.

Rockie Fresh, an upstart young Chicago rapper on Rick Ross’ record label, has turned heads with an alternative style of hip-hop and five mixtape releases. He has shared the stage with artists like Ross and Big Sean, and plans to release his debut studio album this year.

Headliner Paul “DJ Pauly D” DelVecchio, a housemate on MTV’s hit reality show “Jersey Shore,” is also working on his first album. Named the seventh highest-paid DJ in Forbes Magazine’s “World’s Highest Paid DJs” list in 2012, DJ Pauly D’s first single, “Back to Love,” peaked at the fourth spot on the iTunes Dance Chart in less than 24 hours.

“DJ Pauly D puts out fun, energetic hits Syracuse students can dance to,” Fleisher said. “He’s known for mixing between Top 40 and eclectic house beats, so he appeals to different genres, which is something we always consider when picking talent.”

DJ Pauly D was listed on the Schine Box Office calendar Friday, which Fleisher said was the result of a miscommunication between UU and the box office.

“We will continue to work hard to make sure all parties are on the same page about announce dates,” she said.

Fleisher said she hopes the energy of the show will help bring SU students out of the mid-winter doldrums.

Said Fleisher: “We want to put on a fun, high-energy show that people would come out and have a great time at, despite how bad the weather is outside.”