Pulp

Come get it: 90’s child star Aaron Carter throws party for crowd of screaming fans

Aaron Carter has taught his listeners three things: If you want the girl, sing about it; if you want a party, throw it; and if you think you can beat one of the most widely known basketball players of all time – put it in the hoop, like, “SLAM.”

White, glistening smile, blonde spiked hair, backward flat-brimmed hat, the sound that’s key to a female’s heart – not much has changed for Carter, who performed at the Westcott Theater on Sunday night.

Signs and homemade T-shirts sprinkled the crowd. Anticipation of Carter’s performance was evident and nearly tangible in the air.

Opening acts for Carter included Justin Levinson, Leo Lemay, Big Dan’s iPad Experience and Jay Loftus.

Loftus, a 25-year-old from Central New Jersey, officially signed with KNS Productions about a year ago.

With a smooth, acoustic, feel-good, mellow sound, Loftus said he relates to his fan base by singing about the problems he’s going through, because he feels like they’re going through them, too.

“Everybody goes through some stuff – it doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world,” Loftus said. “Every cloud has its silver lining.”

Loftus said he was made fun of as a young boy in school, and music was the only way he knew how to express himself.

“There’s always somebody in this world that loves you, and to that person, the way you feel matters more than anything in the world,” Loftus said.

Loftus’ experience in the music industry has taught him how to be confident.

“It’s taught me to just say, ‘Things are what they are. It is what it is and there’s people out there smiling and listening,’” Loftus said.

The crowd at the Westcott included fans of all ages – from pre-adolescent teenyboppers to fans that seemed to want to relive the days of singing, “I Want Candy” into a hairbrush in their childhood bedrooms.

Some audience members dressed up in basketball jerseys, rolled-up warm-up pants and high-top sneakers, imitating the young Carter in his “That’s How I Beat Shaq” music video.

From the second Carter set foot on stage, the crowd erupted as any dedicated crowd would: loud, excited and happy to be there.

Carter was genuine as he spoke, sang and performed. Audience members’ lips didn’t miss a beat as they sang along to songs like “My First Ride,” “To All The Girls,” and “I Would.”

The moment was made for one female audience member, who was chosen from throngs of other waving hands in the air to come on stage while Carter, dressed in the Backstreet Boys “Millenium” style of all white, serenaded her with “I’m All About You.”

The teenage girl, bubbly and innocent, sang every word of the song right back to Carter as the two kept a tight stare. Carter snuck a few kisses on the cheek and a couple of hugs throughout and after the performance. He even escorted her off of the stage.

Old-time favorites like “Aaron’s Party” and “I Want Candy” made the set list, as well.

The overall tone of Carter’s performance would have made all 90s kids in the audience reminiscent of the first Backstreet Boys or *NSYNC concert they ever attended. There is something about a pop star singing a feel-good pop song and dancing coordinated, pop-style moves – with back-up dancers – that brings a smile to an audience member’s face.

Although he said he’s had many ups and downs in his more-than-decade-long career, Carter is optimistic.

“It’s the downs that really define who you are, because that’s when you really mold your character,” Carter said.

Carter is the younger brother of Nick Carter, a blonde-haired pop star and key player in the Backstreet Boys.

Carter grew up performing and said he likes to connect with his fans through the music he loves. Carter is currently working on finishing his fifth compilation album and continuing his nationwide tour.

For those pursuing a career in music, Carter said that if you love it, keep at it.

“Do it when you don’t want to do it, because that’s what’s going to make the difference,” he said.

Though he professes in one of his songs that “it’s too good to be true,” Carter has seen that through the low points in life, it is important to keep one’s head up.

“My message is that you can get through anything in life if you stay positive and believe in yourself,” Carter said. “Never give up believing in yourself, even when you feel like nobody in the world believes in you.”