Syracuse center Coleman to undergo knee surgery, miss 4 weeks

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

DaJuan Coleman (center) will miss approximately four weeks following surgery on his left knee, which will take place Tuesday.

Syracuse center DaJuan Coleman will undergo on his left knee on Tuesday, SU Athletics announced on Monday night. Coleman is expected to need four weeks to recover.

The freshman from Jamesville, N.Y., has started all 20 games for the Orange. He’s averaging five points and 4.4 rebounds per game in 14 minutes of action.

Coleman put together some strong performances during nonconference play, including a 14-point effort against Eastern Michigan and his lone double-double against Monmouth in December. But he has struggled since the start of Big East play, scoring just 12 points in seven games while seeing less time.

Without the 6-foot-9, 288-pound Coleman in the lineup, though, Syracuse will need Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita to take on larger roles. The big men have rotated all season, and they have all been inconsistent.

Christmas is averaging 6.6 points per game and 5.6 rebounds per game while Keita is averaging 3.7 points per game and 3.9 rebounds per game.

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »