Shafer hires Chuck Bullough to be Syracuse defensive coordinator

Chuck Bullough has been hired as Syracuse’s defensive coordinator, head coach Scott Shafer announced Friday.

Bullough, 44, was a defensive assistant with the Cleveland Browns the last two seasons. Prior to that, Bullough served as linebackers coach and defensive coordinator at UCLA from 2006-10. He previously served on the staffs at Western Michigan (2005), Lake Forest College (2004), the Chicago Bears (1999-03) and Michigan State (1997-98), his alma mater. During Bullough’s time with the Bears, four of his players – including Brian Urlacher – earned Pro Bowl berths.

Shafer and Bullough worked together during Bullough’s one season at Western Michigan. Shafer was his defensive coordinator.

As a player, Bullough was a two-time All-Big Ten selection and second-team All-American linebacker for Michigan State and set an MSU single-season record with 175 tackles in 1991. He was a part of three bowl championship teams and two Big Ten titles. Bullough was born in East Lansing, Mich., but attended Orchard Park High School in Orchard Park, N.Y.

Bullough was selected in the eighth round of the 1992 NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles and played with the Miami Dolphins from 1993-95 while also attending camps with the Eagles (1992) and the Indianapolis Colts (1996).

Bullough’s father, Henry, was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills – the job Doug Marrone left SU for – for parts of the 1985 and 1986 seasons and spent 23 seasons as an NFL defensive coordinator.