Editorial

Positive connections with DPS needed

Though Syracuse University students claimed a lack of information about Joe Shanley’s reassignment within the Department of Public Safety was the main reason for a rally Monday afternoon, the large amount of support truly stems from his approachable relationship with students.

Shanley, a liaison between students and DPS, was reassigned from his position in the Law Enforcement and Community Policing Division to a public safety officer. Students and community members gathered on Waverly Avenue to show support for Shanley.

The reassignment occurred as a result of restructuring within the department. Though students called for more transparency within DPS, the main reason for contention was because this reassignment affected Shanley specifically, therefore stifling his ability to exercise the same positive connections with students he previously practiced.

The broader issue facing campus is that students feel they will no longer have any positive connections with DPS if they lose their previous relationship with Shanley. Other officers that may have faced the same situation did not get the same reaction from students. If more officers had better relationships with the student body, a large showing of discontent by students because of this reassignment would likely not have ensued.

All officers should be encouraged to make improved, more positive connections with those in the student body.

DPS published a press release in September notifying the community of its internal restructuring. Though Shanley’s position change directly affects students and their safety, the additional information would not have changed the fact Shanley was ultimately reassigned.

Creating friendlier relationships between DPS officers and SU students should be a goal for the future.