Orange hires new linebackers coach, Lea, replaces resigning Morrison

Clark Lea has been named Syracuse’s new linebackers coach, SU Athletics announced Saturday. He replaces Steve Morrison, who resigned from the position, according to the release.

Lea spent last season as the linebackers coach at Bowling Green, after spending three years in the same role at UCLA, where he worked with new Orange defensive coordinator Chuck Bullough.

“As a family we are so excited to have the opportunity to work for Coach Shafer and help to build on the foundation that Coach Marrone started,” Lea said in the press release. “There is a lot of football tradition at Syracuse, and I look forward to being a part of it. As a coach you have to determine what your legacy will be. If all I have contributed is X’s and O’s, then I have failed. I pride myself on the time I spend focusing on the development of the person.”

Bowling Green finished 2012 sixth in the nation in total defense, allowing 296.62 yards per game. The Falcons were also fourth in third-down conversion percentage at 28.1 percent, and 10th in the nation in scoring defense with 16.8 points allowed per game.

“Clark Lea has comes highly recommended by many well-respected college coaches,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said in the release. “Coach Lea has worked closely with Coach Bullough in the past, which will help make a smooth transition on the defensive side of the ball.  I am looking forward to having one of the best and brightest defensive coaches in the country join the Syracuse football staff.”

Lea was also the linebackers coach at South Dakota State in 2007 and 2008, and has been on the coaching staffs at Vanderbilt and Birmingham Southern College.

Morrison leaves Syracuse after one season as the Orange’s linebacker coach. He said in the release that he is leaving for opportunities outside football and to spend time with family. Morrison also worked with Shafer at Western Michigan in 2005 and 2006.

“With bittersweet emotions, I announce my resignation from the Syracuse Football program,” Morrison said. “While I’m excited to pursue opportunities outside of football and, most importantly, to spend more quality time with my family, I’m sad to say goodbye to all the wonderful people associated with the University with whom I’ve had the pleasure of being around over the last year. I look forward to watching the program continue to grow and flourish under the leadership of my great friend, Scott Shafer.”

Syracuse is losing its middle linebacker, Siriki Diabate, who was second on the team in total tackles with 77. But starting outside linebackers Marquis Spruill and Dyshawn Davis will return, along with Cameron Lynch, who finished the season with 42 total tackles.

“Once we hit the field, we will have a linebacker corps that is fundamentally sound,” Lea said in the release, “that knows where to line up, and attacks the football.”