christine schutt

Novelist inspires audience with advice about writing, excerpts from latest novel

Literary aficionados are constantly searching for the perfect novel. They peruse the shelves of libraries and bookstores, scouring every nook and cranny for the one book that will both enchant and mesmerize them.

It’s not every day, however, that they get to listen to the author tell the tale.

“It’s very satisfying to have people want to come and sit and just listen to me,” said Christine Schutt, a Pulitzer Prize finalist who spoke at Gifford Auditorium at 3:45 p.m. Wednesday. “That’s really pleasant. It’s amazing. Those are the kinds of pleasures, people actually listening to you openly, that’s really gratifying.”

American novelist Schutt, author of the 2009 Pulitzer finalist “All Souls,” was on hand to answer audience questions and share excerpts from her latest work, “Prosperous Friends.”

Her visit kicked off the spring slate of the Raymond Carver Reading Series. The yearly event, coordinated by Syracuse University’s Creative Writing Program, allows students to interact with a dozen or so stars of the literary universe. Students enrolled in ETS 107: “Living Writers” read an author’s work and discuss it in small groups before attending the reading.

The event began with a brief Q-and-A session led by students in the Living Writers class. The set-up was simple: A solitary wooden table fashioned with two microphones stood front and center on the auditorium stage. It was nothing brash or extravagant.

“I see interviews like this with authors on television,” said Maddie Shaw, an undecided freshman. “It’s cool being here and having the opportunity to ask questions.”

The students in attendance asked a variety of questions pertaining to the specifics of the novel, like asking Schutt to describe the creative process used to give each character an identity. She also explained how the novel contains a universal message about love and how it is affected by our own desires. Schutt made sure to answer each question, many times drawing parallels to her own past experiences.

After all of the questions had been answered, the crowd dispersed for a short intermission.

Schutt said during the break that even with all of the accolades she has earned, the most gratifying moments of her career occur at events similar to the night’s event.

Following the intermission, Schutt read a few short excerpts from her novel. She chose segments that tied together the main characters and conflicts. Though she read only a small fraction, it was enough to get a sense of her writing style.

“Prosperous Friends” is a tale about love and its fragility. It follows Ned and Isabel, a married couple unable to find happiness in their lives. Schutt skillfully weaves a thought-provoking saga about the depression and turmoil of a marriage that has spiraled into an emotional mess.

Schutt made sure she did not sugarcoat the novel. Based on her first marriage, it is littered with passages focusing on the misery of a union gone awry.

“I had no imagination for happy times,” said Schutt, recalling her thought process while writing the piece. “I certainly wasn’t always miserable, but I was basically only able to remember the miserable moments.”

The session remained lighthearted in tone, no doubt because of the surprising humor with which Schutt answered each question. Those in attendance repeatedly broke into chuckles due to a combination of the novel’s mature subject matter and her blunt, witty responses.

“I enjoyed the book because the language and imagery was very complex,” said Alison Park, a senior policy studies major. “I like this interview because it gave me an insight of why she wrote the book and came up with the characters.”

When the session was nearly over, the topic shifted from the novel to Schutt and her years of struggles and triumphs as a writer.

Schutt concluded the event by offering those in attendance the biggest piece of wisdom she could give as an author.

Said Schutt: “The best advice is just to keep on doing it. There are other people around the workshop table who are as talented or more talented than you, but you just have to keep on going.”