Marching band starts fundraising campaign for new uniforms

Andrew Renneisen | Staff Photographer

The SU Marching Band practices in the snow before the Pinstripe Bowl at a snowy Yankee Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 29, in New York City. The band is trying to raise $150,000 to replace its uniforms with a kickstart campaign called “A New Look for a New Era.”

The Syracuse University Marching Band is ready to hang up its uniforms.

The band started a fundraising campaign to replace its 15-year-old uniforms. The campaign is called “A New Look for a New Era,” referring to SU’s entrance into the Atlantic Coast Conference next year, according to a Dec. 17 SU News release.

The goal of the campaign is to raise $150,000 by Jan. 31. The Harry T. Mangurian Jr. Foundation kicked off the campaign with a challenge gift of $75,000, facilitated by College of Visual and Performing Arts Advisory Council member Terry Skuse, according to the release.

Though the price of the new uniforms may be high, it will be worth it, said Patrick Jones, director of the Setnor School of Music, in an email.

“Our goal is to create a look that will really reflect the heritage, quality and dynamism of SU,” he said. “This is important as the band will now represent SU to millions of new audience members up and down the entire East Coast.”

The marching band uniforms will feature an updated yet classic design. Each of the uniforms will be made in the United States. To account for changes in band membership, as well as various size requirements for upcoming seasons, SUMB must purchase 300 uniforms. The 100-percent recycled material will also feature the Syracuse “S” block design logo, according to the release.

The marching band members are looking forward to the new uniforms, Jones said.

“I think they will look great. The students I have spoken with are very excited about this,” he said. “I think it will help generate even more excitement about the band.”

Anyone wishing to donate to the “New Look for a New Era” campaign can visit VPA’s website.