Staff

Ice hockey rebounds at Lindenwood

Syracuse rebounded from a three-game losing skid with a pair of wins at College Hockey America foe Lindenwood in Wentzville, Mo.

The Orange (12-11-1, 6-3-1 CHA) skated to a 2-1 win against the Lions (2-21-1, 2-7-1 CHA) Friday night before pounding LWU for an 8-1 victory Saturday afternoon. The first game represented a tighter struggle, until the third period, while Saturday’s matchup was a blowout from start to finish.

Just less than six minutes into the series, Julie Knerr scored an even-strength goal assisted by defenseman Nicole Renault. The freshman blue-liner assisted on the game-winner, too. After the hosts equalized through a Kendra Broad power play at 14:42 in the second period, the Orange outshot the Lions 15-4 in the third.

Assisted by Renault and fellow freshman Allie LaCombe, Melissa Piacentini scored to give SU the win with a goal 4:26 into the third period.

Orange goaltender Kallie Billadeau made 28 saves while her counterpart Taylor Fairchild made 39.

In the second game, SU poured on four goals in the opening frame, the third of which came shorthanded 11:56 into the game from Piacentini assisted by Kaillie Goodnough. Allysson Arcibal gave LWU a false glimmer of hope 37 seconds the second period. But junior forward Margot Scharfe put SU up 5-1 five minutes later.

The Orange went into the final period of the weekend leading 7-1 and Piacentini added her second of the game and third of the weekend 18:37 into the third, assisted by Goodnough and Renault.

Goodnough tallied four assists Saturday while Renault finished with three on the weekend.

SU hosts another CHA bottom-dweller Penn State on Friday at 7 p.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday.