Gross: Marrone deserving of NFL interest

Andrew Renneisen |

Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone is garnering interest from NFL teams. According to reports, Marrone interviewed with the Browns on Thursday and has another scheduled with the Bills.

With seven NFL head coaches being fired on Monday, Doug Marrone’s name has been linked to several of the openings. According to reports, the Syracuse head coach is interviewing with two teams and is on the radar of at least one other.

Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross said in a statement that the interest of NFL teams in Marrone is a reflection on his coaching ability.

“I think it is the ultimate compliment to Doug’s coaching abilities that his name is being mentioned in NFL circles,” Gross said in the statement. “None of us should be surprised by the attention given his experience and success.”

On Monday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Marrone would interview with the Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills this week. The Browns fired Pat Shurmur on Monday while the Bills fired their head coach Chan Gailey.

The Philadelphia Inquirer then reported Wednesday that the Eagles, who fired long-time head coach Andy Reid, also have Marrone on their radar.

According to ESPN, Marrone had an interview scheduled with Cleveland on Thursday. Marrone has some stiff competition for the job. Former Arizona Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt interviewed Wednesday, and Oregon head coach Chip Kelly will interview with the Browns Friday.

Marrone is coming off of the Orange’s win over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl last weekend. After four seasons at Syracuse, Marrone has a record of 25-25. He also led the Orange to a Pinstripe Bowl victory over Kansas State in 2010.

Before taking the job at SU, Marrone was an assistant coach in the NFL for seven seasons. He was the offensive line coach with the New York Jets from 2002 to 2005, and was then the offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints from 2006 to 2009.

He is highly regarded by NFL coaches and officials. Several, including New Orleans head coach Sean Payton, said Marrone would one day be a head coach in the NFL. Marrone has also reportedly been given endorsements by Saints general manager Mickey Loomis and long-time NFL head coach Bill Parcells.