Crime

DPS reports decline in crime during Winter Break compared to past years

There was one reported burglary during Winter Break, a decline from years past, said Vernon Thompson, investigations and crime prevention commander for the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety.

Thompson said he thinks safety education tips and increased patrols are the main reasons why there was a decline in the number of breaking-and-entering incidents.

One burglary was reported to DPS and the Syracuse Police Department on Dec. 23 after an individual returned home on the 500 block of Euclid Avenue to find it had been burglarized.

Although DPS did not issue a public safety notice, Thompson said students have been reminded of tips to keep their homes safe in past bulletins and email blasts.

“A lot of the notices are for public knowledge for crime prevention tips,” Thompson said.

Some of the crime prevention tips include: making sure all windows and doors are shut and locked, closing blinds, stopping mail delivery and putting expensive items on an upper level so they are out of sight.

“Most of the time with burglars and common thieves, they want to be able to come in, steal something and leave without being seen,” Thompson said.

Thompson also said DPS officers are recommending a new crime prevention technique. Students are told to take pictures or keep a notebook of the serial numbers of items. Thompson said serial numbers are unique identifiers that can be used to connect stolen property back to an owner.

Ben Tupper, a Syracuse landlord, said he did his best to make his homes look occupied during the break. He said he drove up and down the driveways a couple of times and walked to and from the front doors to show there was foot traffic.

“We always re-evaluate and critique what worked and what didn’t work,” Thompson said. “Once we put the data in, we will see what worked and what didn’t work and prepare for Spring Break.”

Thompson and DPS Chief Tony Callisto said students are still returning to campus, so there is a possibility that some additional incidents will be reported.

For additional crime prevention tips and more information about what services DPS offers, visit www.publicsafety.syr.edu.