Editorial

’18 and older’ night at Marshall Street bar could only increase underage drinking

DJ’s On the Hill’s “18 and older” nights will not benefit the Syracuse University campus or community. Bringing underage individuals into an environment where alcohol is being served to patrons could only increase the underage drinking problem in the university area.

Last Tuesday, DJ’s hosted its first “18 and older” night. An outside, local security agency, Spectrum Security, was hired to control the entrance and dance floor, but loopholes still exist.

The wristband and stamp system the bar is using to differentiate between individuals who are of drinking age and those under it could be tampered with. Even if underage individuals do not attempt to remove the stamps or gain access to wristbands, they are still in close proximity to a bar serving alcohol.

Many SU students who fall into the category being targeted are underclassmen. Partying and enjoying nightlife on a Tuesday could disrupt students’ studies and other obligations.

Many bars in the Marshall Street area attract underage individuals to attempt to enter with fake identification. The “18 and older” nights could draw in local residents even younger than 18 with the same motive, opening up another issue.

The owner of DJ’s, Dean Whittles, told The Daily Orange he wanted to provide underage individuals with a safe place they could dance and mingle. The situation and system must be guarded closely, as it still lends itself to underage individuals getting closer to alcohol and could create a larger issue at SU.

• http://twitter.com/CrHine17 Core. E.

This article could use the word could more often which could make it more convincing.

• Commentman

Let’s be real, better to be underage drinking in a bar with security than getting stabbed/robbed roaming the street.

• B_

If this leads to more underage drinking, it’s a matter of personal responsibility. It appears they have taken appropriate security measures, there’s not much more they could do. To me, this is an opportunity for kids to step away from facebook and actually socialize. Besides, it’s a Tuesday night..

• Pp

What about the dome, underage kids there, does that promote drinking?…

• Donnahew Merribubs D.D.S

Tuesday night 18+? Sign me up. I graduated from Syracuse University in 1972 and I tell you what… there is nothing better then some fine barely legal poon-tang to help me wash down a couple of Cold Ones.

• BG

Look, my roommate, a friend of ours, and myself went to this last night at DJ’s. Chuck’s, and Faegan’s had few people so we decided to check this out. It was like any other bar night, however, we noticed that a fair amount of people were not drinking anything at all and were just dancing or hanging out with their friends, without the addition of alcohol. We were drinking and having a good time, the under 18 bar goers appeared to be having just as good of a time. The DJ’s staff was on top of their game. The Spectrum Security that was hired, were all aware and walked around periodically to keep an eye out for those possibly attempting to drink underage. Also, they are armed. So, when you’re at DJ’s, you’re going to feel safe. I don’t know who wrote this article because there is no specific name attached. However, whoever wrote this needs to reach down their pants, and kindly pull out their panties from their ass that has been crammed so damn far up there. Have you ever even been to DJ’s for this? Have you ever been to a bar period? It doesn’t sound like it, unless mommy and daddy have been sheltering you for your entire life and wouldn’t even let you sip on a glass of wine during Thanksgiving. Grow the hell up. Europe, Canada, countries in South America, and a few cities in the United States allow for people under 21 to drink publicly. Open your damn mind and stop being such a prissy little prude.