University Union

Surveys, diverse artist selection lead to 3 concert sellouts this semester

When it comes to selling concert tickets, University Union is riding a hot streak.

Tickets for UU’s second Bandersnatch Music Series show of the semester featuring indie rock band Walk the Moon sold out, marking the third consecutive show to sell out. The first two were Juice Jam, featuring rapper Childish Gambino and electronic music artist Calvin Harris, and the first Bandersnatch concert, which had Kid Ink headlining.

“It’s a testament that we are providing programming that interests the student body,” said Sarah Fleisher, director of public relations for UU.

Fleisher credits capitalizing on survey results and booking different genre artists on student interest. Starting with this week’s Walk the Moon concert, brief surveys are going to be made available for concertgoers to fill out while at the show.

“This will help us better understand the demographic coming out to our shows and how they hear about our programming,” she said.

The last semester with three sold-out concerts was in spring 2011, with shows featuring Big Sean and Donnis; Diplo, Rye Rye and the Postelles; Cataracts and Hoodie Allen; and Block Party with Kid Cudi, Damian Marley, Nas and Tinie Tempah.

Fleisher said UU is in the middle of planning for Block Party and is excited for other upcoming events.

Said Fleisher: “We’re in the process of planning some really great events. We’re all very excited for next semester.”