Pulp

Students prep for possible apocalypse on Dec. 21

With the Mayan prediction of the end of the world right around the corner on Dec. 21, the possible doomsday has inspired multiple reactions from different students. There is a variety of possibilities for how to spend an apocalyptic afternoon.

Tevion Johnson, a junior writing major, plans on keeping it relatively simple on the day the world is destined to end.

“If it starts to go down, if the end of the world begins, I will be in my apartment playing 2K13 as I talk to my mom on speakerphone about how her day has been,” Johnson said after giving the idea careful thought, adding, “I would like to have some Domino’s to go along with that 2K.”

After thinking it over, Johnson also clarified that he would like to hear Ice Cube’s “It Was A Good Day” playing in the background. He muttered some of the lyrics to elaborate on this point: “I didn’t have to use my AK. I’d have to say it was a good day.”

Alejandro Mercado, a junior neuroscience and psychology major, has different plans.

Mercado plans on meditating with other spiritual individuals in Puerto Rico on the day the world will end, hoping to raise human consciousness in the process.

“It’s definitely the end of a cycle,” Mercado said. “After that it would represent an exponential evolution in the human psyche.”

But some students refuse to believe the hype the Mayan prediction spurred. Junior political science and writing and rhetoric major David Swenton has complete faith that the world will see Dec. 22. The only evidence, he said, was the Mayan calendar stopping, which he thinks could’ve been an elaborate joke.

“I think the more plausible scenario is that the Mayans either got tired of adding days to the calendar, or they’re responsible for one of the greatest trolls in history,” he said.

Just in case, though, Swenton has his bucket list sorted out, including vacationing to Europe and taking in a Jets game.

“Although, their season has sort of made me wish the world would end,” Swenton said.

Like everyone else who had the impending apocalypse date cross his or her mind, his emergency plan is to live the next few weeks to the fullest.

Like most skeptics, Swenton fully expects himself, and everyone else, to be just fine come Dec. 22.

Said Swenton: “Since I’m of the belief that we’ll all wake up alive and well on December the 22nd, the 21st will likely be a very normal day for me.”