IVMF website to help veterans to re-enter workforce

When veterans return to the civilian sector, they are faced with countless adjustments, one of them being entering the work force. A Syracuse University veterans organization is trying to make that adjustment easier.

The Institute for Veterans and Military Families at SU recently helped to create VetNet, a new career resource website to help returning veterans find employment and prepare for the job market. 

The website, which launched last Wednesday, was created through a partnership between the IVMF and organizations Hire Heroes USA and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Hiring Our Heroes.

Though VetNet is composed of the three founding organizations, others will be able to offer services as well through the Google+ platform, Jaime Winne Alvarez, director of media relations and communications for IVMF, said in an email.

“The purpose of the online portal is to simplify the process facing vets and military families making the transition to the civilian workforce in finding and using employment resources,” Alvarez said.

The website is hosted on Google+ and also has its own website, VetNetHQ.com. The site offers three unique channels for veterans to select, according to a Nov. 28 IVMF press release.

The Basic Training Track, powered by Hire Heroes USA, offers resume and search skills coaching. Career Connections, powered by Hiring Our Heroes, connects veterans to industry leaders, fellow veterans and spouses. The Entrepreneur Track, powered by IVMF, provides veterans with college-level entrepreneurship courses for those thinking about post-service self-employment, according to the release.

The IVMF runs the Entrepreneur Track, which is an eight-week cycle of courses primarily taught by Mike Haynie, the IVMF founding executive director and Barnes Professor of Entrepreneurship at the Martin J. Whitman School of Management. Haynie is also a U.S. Air Force veteran. Other Whitman professors and additional instructors will also teach courses, Alvarez said.

The IVMF launched in June 2011 in a partnership between Syracuse University and JPMorgan Chase & Co. The institute’s mission is to “Fully leverage the intellectual, human and social capital of higher education, in service to America’s veterans and their families.” It is the first national center to focus on the economic, education and policy issues facing veterans and their families within the context of higher education, according to the IVMF website.

Google has been looking to extend its reach to veterans through its products and services, according to a Nov. 28 post on the Official Google Blog.

Users of the site will have access to live discussions through Google+ Hangouts, a Google Calendar for events and an online portal to connect with fellow veterans, military spouses and family members, according to the release.

The Entrepreneur Track Google Hangouts will be held twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Hangouts will also be archived and uploaded to YouTube for future viewing. All of the courses will be free for veterans, according to the release.

All of the IVMF partners see the portal growing and incorporating more information and resources from the 40,000-plus veterans assistance organizations in the country, Alvarez said.

Said Alvarez: “We are three of the leading organizations and look to this resource as a place for others to share their content and work to help those in the community making the move to a civilian career.”