Florida defensive end Brown verbally commits to Syracuse

Malik Brown, a defensive end from William T. Dwyer High School in West Palm Beach, Fla., tweeted Wednesday that he verbally committed to Syracuse.

Brown is the 14th member of the Class of 2013 to commit to Doug Marrone and the Orange. Scout.com rated his as a two-star prospect, while Rivals gave him three stars. He was a high school teammate of SU freshman cornerback Julian Whigham.

The 6-foot-3, 215-lb. Brown had a host of offers from schools around the country, including Cincinnati, Illinois, Mississippi State, Purdue and South Florida, according to Scout.com.

Brown, an end who gives Syracuse another formidable pass rusher, helped lead Dwyer to a 9-3 record this past season before the Panthers lost to Boyd Anderson in the Class 7A regional semifinals.

Brown will have to fight for a starting spot next season since Syracuse has a group of quality defensive ends coming back in 2013. The only defensive end the Orange will lose to graduation is Brandon Sharpe.

Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn draws inspiration from roots, mother with Michigan State

On Friday at 10:07 p.m., when seventh-seeded Michigan State takes on No. 3 seed Oklahoma in the Carrier Dome, the point guard’s unexpected path to prominence on college basketball’s biggest stage will continue. The freshman entered MSU’s starting lineup for good in early February, which might be one of the lesser surprising things that have happened in his life. Read more »