The Daily Orange

Duck: Ryne Gery

Asst. Sports Editor | Fall 2011-Spring 2012; Sports Editor | Fall 2012

/ The Daily Orange

I came to The Daily Orange as a sophomore with no real journalism experience. I knew I wanted to make a career as a sports writer, but I didn’t know if I could do it. A year later, I started as an assistant sports editor and I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into. But after three semesters at 744 Ostrom Ave., I am leaving with a little more confidence. I learned a lot and met a lot of great people along the way. Ultimately, all the crazy hours were worth it, and I know I’ll never forget my time at The D.O.

ALJ: Thanks for putting me on the ice hockey beat right away. I learned a lot that first semester and I owe a lot to you for giving me that chance.

Tony: You pushed me to dig deeper in my reporting and it made a big difference. Thanks for teaching me how to approach a beat and get better stories.

Brett: You assigned me my first enterprise stories and gave me the chance to do something different. You taught me a lot that semester and I started to see some of my writing and reporting improve. Thanks for everything.

Cohen: You encouraged me to work in-house and gave me the chance to start out as an assistant. That encouragement and trust meant a lot to me, and gave me confidence as a writer and editor. Thanks for all of your help the last two years.

Mark: You showed me a lot about writing, editing and how to run the section during our time together in sports. Thanks for always pushing the section and the paper every day.

Treds: I still remember covering our first ice hockey game and writing our stories on deadline together in Goldstein two years ago. Our last lacrosse trip to Villanova with Marlin was pretty memorable too. It was great working with you on beats and in-house over two years.

Stephen: Your passion for every story made a difference in the section last year. Good luck with everything in the future.

Iseman: It’s hard to believe the semester’s already over. It feels like we just finished covering football camp at Fort Drum, but it’s been good to get to know you working together in the last year. You made it easy for me to run the section and you’ll do great as Sports Editor in the spring.

Jon: Thanks for coming back. I’m glad I got to work with you this semester. Your jokes and antics brought some unity to the staff and made the nights go by quickly.

Jacob: Your enthusiasm and willingness brought a lot to the section. Keep pushing yourself on every story and you’ll only get better. I hope the soccer jokes weren’t too harsh.

David: You stepped in and didn’t miss a beat. I’ve been impressed with your improvement this semester, and I’m excited to see what you do in the spring and beyond. Thanks for all your hard work.

Ankur: From the pregame introductions to the ridiculous nicknames, you made it fun in the office each night. It was great to work with you for the last year and a half. And if you’re ever looking for a discount on some quality goods, you know where to find me.

Laurence: It was a pleasure working with you these three semesters. Good luck leading the paper again in the spring.

Meghin: Good luck in Binghamton. I’ll try to smile more and have a little fun every now and then too.

Erik and Chelsea: I’m still skeptical about your fantasy football team’s turnaround and Jack the Dog, but I think you both did great leading Pulp.

Marwa: You’re a great reporter and writer, and I enjoyed working together as head eds. Good luck making the move over to design in the spring.

Chase: You did a nice job taking over photo this semester. It was refreshing to work with you and your section.

Beth: Don’t give Chris too much trouble in the spring. It was good working with you in the last year even if you did ask for macs too often.

Sports staff: “It’s what you learn after you know it all that matters.” You have a lot of opportunities to do some special things here. Take pride in your work and don’t ever become satisfied.

Mom and Dad: Mom, you’ve been my biggest supporter since I started writing. You’ve read every single story and it means more than I can put into words. Thanks for all the sacrifices you’ve made for all of us. Dad, your passion for sports has a lot to do with why I’m here trying to make it a career. From going to your practices and games growing up to all those extra hours of hitting, you taught us the right way to do everything. Thanks for your support through it all.

Chris: I wouldn’t have made it to this point without you. Thanks for always being there.