Court date set for two SU athletes arrested Sunday

The two Syracuse University football players arrested on Sunday for disorderly conduct and other charges will appear in court Dec. 19.

Steve Rene, a junior running back, and Marquis Spruill, a junior linebacker, were arrested around 12:20 a.m. Sunday on the 800 block of Livingston Avenue.

Rene was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Spruill was charged with disorderly conduct and second-degree harassment.

Both players are due back in court before City Judge Theodore Limpert on Wednesday, Dec. 19, The Post-Standard reported on Monday.

Christopher Burke, a lawyer for student legal services, will represent both Rene and Spruill, The Post-Standard reported.

The incident began when Rene stood in the road on Euclid Avenue, yelling at passers-by and police officers, according to the police report. An officer took Rene to the side of the street, but he returned to the road, in the intersection of Livingston and Euclid Avenues.

The officer then approached Rene again, grabbing his shirt to secure him. Then Spruill became involved, trying to pull the officer away from Rene.

The first officer pushed Spruill away, and another officer came to secure the position. The officers had difficulty handcuffing Rene.

One of the officers had a muzzled police dog that helped get Rene into custody, said Sgt. Tom Connellan of the Syracuse Police Department.

Both athletes were placed in the back of a Syracuse police car. Both Rene and Spruill appeared to be in an intoxicated state, according to the report.

While officers were questioning Rene, Spruill kicked the inside of the car in an aggressive manner. He kicked the rear door open at one point, nearly striking an officer in the face.

Spruill is a starting linebacker for the Orange and was an All-Big East Second Team selection in 2011.

Rene began the season as the team’s starting punt returner, but was replaced by another starter during the season.