Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Ashley Lawton

Lauren Murphy | Asst. Photo Editor

Senior psychology major Ashley Lawton is a tattoo aficionado. Having sat in the tattoo chair on more than 10 separate occasions for nine tattoos, she is a true connoisseur.

From dream-catcher and tie-dye mushrooms on her feet to the sparrow on her arm reminding her to always “Stay True,” Lawton has her tattoos spread out on all parts of her body.

But sometimes having eight previous tattoos can’t prepare people for the one they get on their most painful spot. The art of tattooing, while delicate, can be a painful experience.

Lawton boasts a colorful, traditional style set of three sunflowers that covers her entire left shoulder. The tattoo was done by artist Chris Chisholm at Halo Tattoo on Marshall Street in May.

“When I was really little I grew up with my aunt and uncle,” Lawton said. “I don’t remember every detail, but I do remember getting yelled at for running through the garden and playing by the sunflowers. Since then they’ve been my favorite flower, a reminder, like most of my other tattoos, that life is beautiful.”

The flowers are her largest and incidentally most painful tattoo. Though the flowers are a representation of all that is beautiful, Lawton explains, getting the tattoo was far from a pretty sight.

“I had planned on getting it done in one session, and Chisholm assured me it was completely doable, but after a few minutes I realized that this was going to be a different experience. Getting my other tattoos didn’t hurt nearly as much,” she said.

After crying through the first hour, Lawton inquired regarding how much time would be left. When Chisholm told her it would be longer than an hour, she knew she wouldn’t be able to take it anymore. Lawton convinced the reluctant and condescending artist to split the tattoo into two sessions and returned a week later to have the rest of the tattoo filled with color.

Lawton said the pain was well worth it, and she now has a new favorite tattoo on her body, as well as the knowledge of her most painful spot.

Said Lawton: “Don’t let the pain stop you, because tattoos eventually become the pictures to the story of who you were, who you are and how you got there — the pain just makes you stronger.”