Syracuse running back Smith reaches 1,000-yard mark; Nassib finishes regular season with stellar performance

Luke Rafferty | Design Editor

Marcus Sales catches a touchdown pass over Temple's Anthony Robey in the Orange's 38-20 win over the Owls on Friday.

PHILADELPHIA — Jerome Smith stood next to Ryan Nassib in the backfield, preparing for another carry as his quarterback waited for the snap. Then, as he has consistently in Syracuse’s final six games of the regular season, Smith trudged forward for 5 yards and a first down.

The 5-yard run was different, though. Smith surpassed the 1,000-yard mark for the season, extending SU’s streak to five straight years with a back to reach the milestone.

“I told Jerome Smith at the beginning of the season that if he didn’t give me 1,000 yards he was going to be in for it,” SU offensive tackle Justin Pugh said, joking after Syracuse’s 38-20 win on Friday. “He played great, all our running backs are running hard and it’s just good to see him get 1,000 yards.”

Curtis Brinkley started the run in 2008, Delone Carter achieved the mark in 2009 and 2010, and Antwon Bailey continued it last season. Smith, who got off to a slow start this season, came on strong and capped the 2012 regular season with a 96-yard day against Temple on Friday, giving him a total of 1,019.

Syracuse’s regular-season finale also saw senior wide receiver Alec Lemon haul in five passes for 74 yards to pass the 1,000-yard mark. He became the program’s first receiver to accomplish the feat since Marvin Harrison in 1995.

Smith and Lemon also became the first SU teammates to rush for 1,000 yards and register 1,000 yards receiving in the same season since Michael Owens and wide receivers coach Rob Moore did so in 1989.

Smith, who was banged up going into the game, said he was motivated by more than just the yards he needed to achieve the milestone on Friday.

“You got a whole team and you got seniors that put a lot into this,” Smith said. “You put away your little minor injuries for those guys.”

Nassib finishes regular season with solid performance in homecoming

Ryan Nassib ran to the sidelines, straight for his senior wide receiver Marcus Sales. The calm quarterback grabbed Sales and gave him a shove, fired up after the two connected for a 24-yard touchdown to get Syracuse on the board.

Nassib led the Orange 75 yards down the field in just six plays spanning 1:44. Sales’ juggling catch over Temple defensive back Anthony Robey cut the Owls’ lead to three and jumpstarted the SU offense.

Though the Syracuse running game powered the offense, Nassib turned in another solid performance playing in front of family and friends about 45 minutes from his hometown of West Chester, Pa.

“I knew this was going to be an emotional game for me coming back home, so I made sure that myself and a lot of the other Philly guys got on everybody else,” Nassib said. “Because maybe it didn’t mean as much to them because this isn’t their hometown, but we made sure we were on them.”

The senior quarterback finished 16-of-28 for 215 yards and the one touchdown in his team’s 38-20 victory at Lincoln Financial Field. Nassib managed the game and came through on third downs to extend drives on a day in which Syracuse rumbled for 260 yards on the ground.

But for much of the season, the quarterback has been at the center of the Orange’s explosive new spread offense. He’s thrown for 3,619 yards and 24 touchdowns while completing 63 percent of his passes.

And after the final regular-season game of his career, Nassib reflected on what he feels his mark on the program will be.

“I think one of the things we’ll leave is this system for the guys behind us,” Nassib said. “Because if you get the right weapons and the right offensive line, this offense is pretty dangerous.”

SU finishes season on a roll, looks ahead to bowl game

With five wins in its final six games, Syracuse is playing with confidence as it heads into the postseason. As the rest of the nation finishes up the regular season next week, SU will wait to learn its bowl fate.

SU also remains alive for a share of the Big East championship along with Rutgers and Louisville. The team needs the Cardinals to defeat the Scarlet Knights in their matchup to earn that title.

After a collapse in 2011 and a 2-4 start this season, though, the Orange coaches and players are just looking forward to another game in December or January.

“It feels great,” Lemon said. “Like I said, our last regular-season game, getting that and having momentum going into the bowl game to win our last couple games is great.”