Syracuse dealing with host of injuries to starters heading into matchup with Temple

Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone said 11 of his team’s starters – half of the lineup – are on the injured list heading into its regular-season finale against Temple.

The Orange (6-5, 4-2 Big East) earned bowl eligibility with its 31-27 win over Missouri last Saturday, and the team’s looking to finish the season toward the top of the Big East with another victory against the Owls (4-6, 2-4). The teams will square off at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pa., at 11 a.m.

Marrone said on Monday’s Big East coaches’ teleconference that the team faces challenges with the injuries this week, but he expects the players to be ready for Friday at this point, according to The Post-Standard. He did not name any players specifically dealing with injuries.

SU running backs Jerome Smith and Prince-Tyson Gulley are likely among those on the list as they both left Saturday’s game against Missouri due to injury. Smith did return after being banged up to score a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

The tandem of Smith and Gulley has been crucial to the Orange offense this season, combining for more than 1,400 yards and eight touchdowns. Smith, who leads the team with 923 yards rushing, put together a streak of four straight 100-yard games before the Missouri game. Gulley is tops on the team with five touchdowns.

If they are limited or can’t play, SU would likely have to turn to Adonis Ameen-Moore and Ashton Broyld. Ameen-Moore’s (18 carries, 47 yards, three touchdowns) time has largely been limited to the team’s “Tank” package in short-yardage and goal-line situations, and Broyld (36 carries, 171 yards, one touchdown) has only played in six games.

Broyld has also been working back from a lower-body injury and did not play against Missouri.