Editorial

Student must exercise voting right on Election Day

In 2008, young voters turned out in higher-than-usual numbers for the presidential election, led by huge support for President Barack Obama. Tuesday is the one chance for students to show the youth voting numbers of four years ago were no fluke, and that politicians need to stand up and recognize young voters.

For most Syracuse University students, this is the first presidential election in which they’re eligible to vote. Students must take advantage of this opportunity on Tuesday if they have not already through absentee ballots.

There should be no excuse not to vote. Voting does not take up much time, as it can be done between classes at a nearby polling station. Polling locations are open until 9 p.m., late enough to accommodate students who have Tuesdays full of classes.

Voting should be a new and wondrous process that students should want to take part in. The candidate elected Tuesday will be the president when most current SU students graduate and enter the real world. The next administration’s decisions will have huge effects on everyone currently on the SU campus.

Voting is a newly gained right for many students, and they must all exercise that right as often as possible. Take Tuesday as an opportunity to get out and vote, and exercise the right to be a fully engaged citizen.