University Lectures

Professor to lecture on politics behind food marketing

Large food corporations across the country have threatened to sue Marion Nestle countless times for her work as a food activist.

Nestle, who has spent countless decades studying the politics behind food marketing and dietary choice, will present her lecture, “Food Politics from Farm to Table: A Recipe for Change,” on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Hendricks Chapel.

Nestle is the Paulette Goddard Professor in the Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health at New York University. Her books include “Food Politics,” “What to Eat” and “Why Calories Count.” She also writes the “Food Matters” column for the San Francisco Chronicle and blogs almost daily at www.foodpolitics.com.

Esther Gray, coordinator for University Lectures, said in an email that Nestle will speak about the need for people to return to eating basic whole foods, as well as keeping away from processed, high-sodium, fattening foods.

Nestle will also speak about how the food industry continues to work to keep the public convinced that foods are fine the way they are, Gray said.

“Dr. Nestle is recognized as a leader in the field of nutrition as well as food politics, and the environmental impact of the food industry,” Gray said. “She was recommended by several of our past, very popular, speakers.”

Kay Bruening, chair of Syracuse University’s nutrition, science and dietetics department, will introduce Nestle on Tuesday as a longtime friend and colleague. She said she doesn’t know of anyone else who has dedicated his or her life’s work to investigating and writing on food policy the way Nestle has.

“She has kept her fingers on the pulse of food and nutrition policy, and shares her reasoning for the views she takes on these issues,” Bruening said in an email.

There is growing awareness about the source of our food, Bruening said, as well as where and how it is produced. There is also increasing awareness of the societal and health implications of those processes, she said.

“It is a topic of interest, on some level, to so many of us, and she is an engaging speaker with a compelling message,” Bruening said.

Allie Baynes, a sophomore nutrition science major, said she thinks the topic of dietary choices is a relevant topic and needs to be addressed.

“Especially in this day and age,” Baynes said. “I mean, we’re in America, the most obese country in the world.”

She said she worries, though, that students who aren’t in health-related majors might not be motivated to attend the lecture.

Evan Weissman, assistant professor in public health, food studies and nutrition, said he thinks students should take advantage of this opportunity to hear from a significant leader in the field of food issues.

“Students can hear firsthand about some of the ways in which food has been politicized and some of the opportunities to engage in shaping the food system in ways that we would think maybe are more just,” he said.

Weissman said he also thinks Nestle’s visit is a great opportunity for students because of the complimentary student workshop being directed by Rachel May, coordinator of sustainability education at Syracuse University. A dinner and panel discussion for the one-credit food action workshop titled “What’s On Your Plate?” will be held Friday, Nov. 16 from 6 to 9 p.m.

“Hopefully it might provide an opportunity to catalyze change,” Weissman said. “It’s going to be really interesting to see what she says, what students make of it and then how it really might spur students through this workshop to take action here on campus.”