Music Beyond Borders festival brings world culture to SU

Sam Maller | Asst. Photo Editor

Biboti Ouikahilo, from the Ivory Coast, performs at the Music Beyond Borders festival Wednesday evening in the Schine Underground. The event was a part of Syracuse University’s International Education Week. There were 14 performing groups showcasing their cultures.

The harsh, deep sound of the tribal African drum bellowed throughout Schine Underground during the “Music Beyond Borders” festival on Wednesday night.

The event showcased 14 different acts of rich, cultural talent at the Schine Underground on Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. The Slutzker Center for International Services organized the event, which was a part of Syracuse University’s International Education Week.

The engaged audience couldn’t take their eyes off the international performances, which included energetic Indian dancing, calm Chinese instrumental music and soulful American music. All of the performers were a part of the SU community or from the surrounding area.

“Regardless of your daily routine, regardless of your language this (music) is the one thing that can bring us together,” said Anitha Kubendran, a graduate student in the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science who participated in the Indian dance.

She gracefully danced across the stage in traditional fuchsia Indian garb to the song Bharatanatyam.”

To Heejung Lim, a junior exchange student, Kubendran’s performance was both powerful and passionate, making it one of her favorite performances of the night.

Lim said she thought “Music Beyond Borders” had an important message for those in the community.

“I think it’s a really good idea to have something like this. It’s an important idea for all people, especially Americans, to understand all cultures,” Lim said.

Some artists, such as Shuangzhu Men, combined cultures in their performances. Men, originally from China, shook her hips while dancing to “Mi Chica,” a Greek pop song.

“This performance shows the passion in my heart,” Men said.

Michele Cantos embraced her Ecuadorian and American roots, peacefully singing “Mi vida sin ti,” while lightly strumming the guitar.

“Music is a good way for me to reconcile my Ecuadorian and American culture,” Cantos said. “It allows me to express my identity.”

Farshad Mirzazadeh, a graduate finance student, found the performances to be a “stress reliever.”

He said he specifically enjoyed the Turkish dancers, finding it both different and amusing.

Sozen Ozkan, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences, choreographed a dance from the Burdur region. The group, consisting of five dancers, rejuvenated audience members as they clapped along to the Turkish beats.

Representing the United States, brothers Eric and Anthony McGriff gave David Guetta’s song “Titanium” a classical twist by playing the pop song with a violin and cello.

Biboti Ouikahilo, originally from the Ivory Coast, choreographed the event’s largest and final number, a traditional African dance. The drummers strolled through the aisles, creating intricate beats for the six dancers on stage.

The powerful performance made everyone in Schine Underground dance, bringing both audience members and artists to the stage. Despite the difference in cultures, everyone was in rhythm.

“My goal is to share my culture here,” Ouikahilo said. “In my culture, we express emotion through music; it brings everyone together.”