Elections 2012

Get out and vote: A run-down of this election season’s candidates

Graphic by Lizzie Hart | Design Editor

U.S. President

Barack Obama
Democrat
Age: 51
Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii
Running mate: Joe Biden

Obama and Biden’s re-election campaign has focused heavily on growing the economy by strengthening the middle class. They have also promised to continue the Affordable Care Act, reform the student loan process and make the U.S. energy efficient by increasing natural gas and oil production in America. In foreign policy, the two have pledged to decrease troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Mitt Romney
Republican
Age: 65
Hometown: Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
Running mate: Paul Ryan

Romney is campaigning for a “stronger middle class,” largely through job creation and cutting taxes for all by 20 percent. His plan includes making America energy independent, reducing the deficit, cutting nonsecurity spending by 5 percent, supporting small businesses, fostering American markets, creating affordable options for higher education, ending “unfair trade practices” with countries like China and repealing Obamacare.

U.S. Senate

Kirsten Gillibrand
Democrat
Age: 45
Hometown: Albany, N.Y.

Gillibrand’s re-election campaign has stressed rebuilding New York’s manufacturing base and creating more jobs in technology sectors. Gillibrand has also advocated for equal pay for women, government transparency and marriage equality.

Wendy Long
Republican
Age: 52
Hometown: Worcester, Mass.

Long, who has promised to serve a maximum of two terms if elected, has campaigned on reducing the national debt and repealing the Affordable Care Act. She has also pledged not to raise taxes and supports tax code reform.

24th Congressional District

Dan Maffei
Democrat
Age: 44
Hometown: Syracuse, N.Y.

Running to regain the seat he lost in 2010, Maffei has promised to balance the budget, preserve Social Security and Medicare, create tax incentives for small businesses and not raise taxes on the middle class.

Ann Marie Buerkle
Republican
Age: 61
Hometown: Auburn, N.Y.

Buerkle’s upbringing and family life have a significant effect on the focus of her campaign. She said Obamacare hurts multiple groups and plans to repeal and reform it. Buerkle serves on committees for veterans, foreign affairs and health. Overhauling the tax code to ensure that taxes are spread fairly among the wealthy and the middle class is also part of her platform.

Ursula Rozum
Green Party
Age: 28
Hometown: Syracuse, N.Y.

Rozum has run as an alternative to the main party candidates, claiming they’re ignoring the issues of economy and climate change. To address this, Rozum supports creating new jobs by developing alternative renewable energy sources.

22nd Congressional District

Dan Lamb
Democrat
Age: 49
Hometown: Norfolk, Va.

Lamb, an advisor to outgoing Rep. Maurice Hinley, has pledged to increase job creation by decreasing outsourcing and reforming trade deals. He is also against hydrofracking and cutting benefits for veterans.

Richard Hanna
Republican
Age: 61
Hometown: Utica, N.Y.

Hanna’s main goal is job creation. As a representative of the 24th Congressional District, he serves on three House committees: Small Business, Education & the Workforce and Transportation & Infrastructure. Though a Republican, Hanna frequently disagrees with the party on social issues and also the Tea Party.

21st Congressional District

Bill Owens
Democrat
Age: 63
Hometown: Mineola, N.Y.

Owens, the incumbent congressman, is campaigning on a platform of job creation and fiscal responsibility. He is also an advocate for New York’s agricultural sector and, as a military veteran, supports improved benefits for veterans.

Matt Doheny
Republican
Age: 42
Hometown: Alexandria Bay, N.Y.

Doheny has also made agriculture a focal point of his campaign, advocating for a legal labor force and less taxes. He has also pledged to rein in spending and grow the construction and manufacturing industry.

53rd Senate District

David Valesky
Democrat
Age: 46
Hometown: Oneida, N.Y.

Valesky, who is running unopposed, has made job creation a top priority in his campaign. He also supports reforming the school district funding formula and making New York more business-friendly.

50th Senate District

John DeFrancisco
Republican
Age: 66
Hometown: Syracuse, N.Y.

DeFrancisco, who is running unopposed, is seeking his 11th term. He has focused on fiscal issues, job creation and education as the main issues in his campaign. He plans to decrease government spending and make improvements to education.