Student Association

DeSalvo wins comptroller election with 65.5 percent of vote

Though he wasn’t running unopposed, Stephen DeSalvo secured his second term as Student Association comptroller — blowing out his opponent Osarumwense Pat-Osagie by a 1,150 vote margin.

That was good for about 65.5 percent of the 3,371 votes cast. Pat-Osagie received approximately 31.4 percent — or 1,058 votes — and there were 105 write-in votes, representing 3.1 percent of the comptroller votes.

“I think it’s exciting to know more so now that students are behind me,” he said. DeSalvo, a junior chemical engineering major who is also a commuter student, said he was at home studying for an exam when the results came in.

During the campaign, he said if re-elected, he would continue to improve the tier system, a set of classifications that determines how much money a Syracuse University student organization is eligible to receive, as well as continuing to be fair and balanced during the budget process.

He had been critical of Pat-Osagie throughout the race, suggesting Pat-Osagie’s involvement with Alpha Phi Alpha constituted a conflict of interest.

“Now I know what’s right is popular,” DeSalvo said.

In the 57th session, he said, he will continue to spend time making sure groups understand the budget process. He and the Finance Board want to continue to ensure no budgets are rejected because of technicalities, he said.

University Lectures

Former Amazon chief scientist discusses data in 1st University Lecture of semester

Andreas Weigend, former chief scientist at Amazon and data expert, delivered his lecture titled, “We Are Our Data: Harnessing the Power of Social Data” Tuesday night in Hendricks Chapel to a crowd of about 130 members of the SU community. Weigend’s was the first University Lecture of the spring semester, and he addressed the way data affects people’s daily lives. Read more »