Letter to the Editor

College Democrats: Curtis’ ideals aligns with group’s on how government should work

After much debate, the College Democrats at Syracuse University have decided to endorse Allie Curtis for Student Association president.

We felt that two candidates — PJ Alampi and Iggy Nava — demonstrated a distinct lack of engagement on campus by failing to reach out to our organization during election season.

However, Allie Curtis and Kyle Coleman were both welcomed into one of our weekly meetings, where each made a strong argument for why he or she should be elected.

A vote of our Executive Board determined that two supported Coleman and one abstained, while four felt that Curtis was the best candidate for us.

As an organization, the College Democrats do much of our work off campus in the local Syracuse Community. Last month, we left campus multiple times a week to campaign for President Barack Obama, Congressman-elect Dan Maffei and other local political candidates.

In light of her campaign platform emphasizing involvement in the Syracuse community and her prioritization of increasing local internship programs, we felt that Curtis’ priorities lined up best with our own.

Some felt that Coleman’s new perspective and platform emphasizing the bringing together of the SU community were assets, but in the end we felt that Curtis’ experience would allow her to more easily affect change.

As such, we encourage all students of SU and the State University of New York College of Environment Science and Forestry to log onto MySlice and vote for Allie Curtis as our next SA president.

In addition, we would like to single out incumbent representatives Ben Jones and Colin Crowley for re-election from the College of Arts and Sciences, both of whom are members of our organization.

Another of our members, Taylor Bold, is running an insurgent write-in campaign for assembly representative and, if successful, would provide a fresh perspective for his constituents, also in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Regardless of the outcome of the SA election, the College Democrats would like to welcome any interested students to our weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in Hall of Languages, room 114.

Signed,
The College Democrats Executive Board