Westcott Theater releases statement on collapsed ceiling tile; Wednesday night’s concert still scheduled

The Westcott Theater released a statement Wednesday, addressing the incident in which a tile fell from the ceiling during a concert early that morning and providing a status for Wednesday night’s Datsik show at the venue.

A tile fell from the ceiling on the right side of the stage at the theater near the end of a Dada Life concert early Wednesday morning, injuring at least three people.

As of 2:18 p.m., Wednesday night’s scheduled concert, featuring headliner Datsik, a dubstep artist, is still on, according to the theater’s Facebook page. There may be some adjustments to the time schedule of the show, with further details to come, according to a post.

Theater employees did not respond to three phone calls and two emails. An employee of the Westcott Theater declined comment early Wednesday morning after the Dada Life concert.

In an earlier release posted on its Facebook page Wednesday afternoon, the theater addressed the ceiling tile’s collapse.

“We at the Westcott Theater pride ourselves on providing a safe environment for all our patrons to enjoy live music and are truly sorry that something like this had to happen at one of our events,” the theater said in the release. “We hope that any patrons affected are okay.”

The theater employees are working with the Syracuse Fire Department, the codes department and a structural engineer to determine if it is safe to hold Wednesday’s concert, according to the release.

Dada Life was originally supposed to open at the Oncenter for electronic dance music disc jockey Tiesto on Tuesday. Tiesto had to postpone all of his October concert dates due to a back injury, and Dada Life’s performance moved to the Westcott Theater.

The Westcott Theater also has concerts scheduled for Thursday, Friday and Sunday.