Editorial

Title IX resonates for teams 40 years later

Although women’s sports at Syracuse University may never achieve the same popularity as men’s sports, Title IX still resonates for the women’s programs.

Forty years ago, the women’s teams had to buy their own uniforms and tape numbers on the back. They practiced on unkempt fields. They drove a 12-person van to games.

Today, with Title IX, the women’s sports get the same support from the athletics department as the powerhouse men’s sports do. The women’s teams do not bring in the same revenue for the university, but they have the same support system.

Women’s teams play in the Carrier Dome, have access to gyms and practice fields, and travel across the country to play other teams and participate in tournaments.

Right now, the SU field hockey team is ranked No. 1 in the country. Last spring, the women’s lacrosse team made it to the national championship game.

Despite their successes, these games bring in few spectators compared with men’s sports.

Title IX can only go so far. The policy cannot force students to attend games and cannot force female sports to be as popular as men’s sports, but bringing equal access to the teams is still relevant and necessary 40 years later.

Without the university’s support, which comes through Title IX, the successes of these programs would not be possible.