The Nancy Cantor Files

Students react to Cantor’s announcement

Many Syracuse University students showed mixed emotions to Nancy Cantor’s announcement that she will step down as SU chancellor.

Cantor plans to leave SU when her contract ends in 2014. She alerted the SU community about her departure through a campus-wide email.

Azhar Ali, a senior education major, first heard the news via Twitter. He said he was surprised and that it’s unfortunate that Cantor is leaving.

“I think she was great during my time here. I know others don’t agree with me,” Ali said. “I hope the university can go forward.”

Dylan Lustig, Student Association president, said he was “bummed” to hear of the chancellor’s decision.

“I personally know the chancellor and she is awesome. People are really upset,” he said. “She was highly regarded within the SU community.”

Lustig said he has seen a lot of student reactions on twitter, including hashtags such as #longlivechancynancy.

Although Cantor is leaving, Lustig said he doesn’t think it will negatively effect SA.

“It’s going to be a transition,” Lustig said. “SA is always going to have a great relationship with the administration.”

Lustig, who is also one of student representative on the board of trustees, said the board will continue to push Cantor’s initiatives.

“Scholarship in Action is going to be more than just words,” he said. “It’ s going to stay current for many years. We owe her a lot. She’s a phenomenal person.”

Scholarship in Action is just one of the many initiatives Cantor has worked on during her time at SU.

These initiatives have served SU students well said Pamela Davis, a sophomore international relations and economic major.

“The student body will do everything possible to keep them going, especially the Connective Corridor,” Davis said.

Cantor is a very involved figure in “the public sphere,” Davis added. She thinks it will be difficult for SU.

“I think she’s headed for great things,” Davis said.  “It’s going to be hard to lose the connections she has. She has a huge professional network.”

Sarah Adkins, a sophomore entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises major, said she is sad to hear of the chancellor’s departure. Adkins said Cantor has personally helped her close circle of friends.

Adkins said one of her friends was unable to study abroad in London for financial reasons, so the friend reached out to Cantor for help.

“She emailed the chancellor explaining her situation. Nancy personally emailed her back and told my friend that the university would provide the money,” Adkins said. SU also provided the student with personal spending money.

Cantor has always been a valuable resource for students, Adkins said

“Whenever students have problems, they’ll go to her for help,” she explained. “She’s been so helpful to the student body. I hope that the next person who takes her spot will do as well as she does.”

Other students, such as Lily Chaiu, don’t care about the chancellor’s news.

“I’m leaving too so I don’t really care. I know a lot of people make fun of her,” said Chaiu, a senior psychology major. “I had no idea about any of her initiatives. I wasn’t inspired by her or anything.”

Brian Cho, a junior mechanical engineer major, said he isn’t affected by the news of Cantor either.

“People that aren’t involved in school won’t care either,” Cho said.  “I’m curious to see who will take her spot.”

Joelynn Frascatore, a sophomore Physics major, didn’t have a strong opinion about Cantor leaving because she didn’t feel connected to her.

“I think that officials at the university don’t know how to connect with students,” Cantor said. “I hope the new chancellor connects with students and is familiar with SU.”

Casey Garrow, a broadcast and digital journalism graduate student, said he believes Cantor has made a big impact on SU. Having a new chancellor at SU will be an adjustment for the community, he said.

“It’s going to be big shoes to fill,” Garrow said. “It’s going to be difficult for the student body to see someone else in that position.”